From: Robert Macy on
Word97 on Win98FE:

I need to adjust the line spacing whether a line contains slightly
larger fonts, or not.

I first tried outlining the text, then turning it into a table, 'none'
separation, and FORCE all to be 12 pt, matching the original font.
Looks great.

Then I made one character 16, which should just fit, but its presence
causes that single line to move down, and out of view ?? I tried page
setup layout fo this one line and that doesn't work, either.

So, how do I make the bottom edge of a line stay evenly spaced down
the paper? Regardless of what that line contains?
From: Jay Freedman on
In the Format > Paragraph dialog (preferably by modifying the
appropriate style, but applying to a single paragraph is possible),
set the line spacing to Exactly instead of Single or At Least or any
other kind. That will force the baselines to be exactly the same
distance apart. But if a larger character doesn't fit between its
baseline and the one above, the top of the character will be cut off.

--
Regards,
Jay Freedman

From: Robert Macy on
On Nov 1, 1:44 pm, Jay Freedman <jay.freed...(a)verizon.net> wrote:
> In the Format > Paragraph dialog (preferably by modifying the
> appropriate style, but applying to a single paragraph is possible),
> set the line spacing to Exactly instead of Single or At Least or any
> other kind. That will force the baselines to be exactly the same
> distance apart. But if a larger character doesn't fit between its
> baseline and the one above, the top of the character will be cut off.
>
> --
> Regards,
> Jay Freedman
> Microsoft Word MVP        FAQ:http://word.mvps.org
> Email cannot be acknowledged; please post all follow-ups to the
> newsgroup so all may benefit.
>
> On Sun, 1 Nov 2009 13:02:00 -0800 (PST), Robert Macy
>

> <m...(a)california.com> wrote:
> >Word97 on Win98FE:
>
> >I need to adjust the line spacing whether a line contains slightly
> >larger fonts, or not.
>
> >I first tried outlining the text, then turning it into a table, 'none'
> >separation, and FORCE all to be 12 pt, matching the original font.
> >Looks great.
>
> >Then I made one character 16, which should just fit, but its presence
> >causes that single line to move down, and out of view ??  I tried page
> >setup layout fo this one line and that doesn't work, either.
>
> >So, how do I make the bottom edge of a line stay evenly spaced down
> >the paper?  Regardless of what that line contains?

Thank you for your reply.

No Table, not necessary

set line height EXACTLY to original 12 pt, works as I wanted.
From: Suzanne S. Barnhill on
Jay has explained how to use Exact line spacing. Another possible gotcha
here (also from ancient experience): if you happen to insert a picture into
a paragraph with Exact line spacing, you'll see only a narrow strip of it,
and it may be quite a while before you figure out what's wrong!

--
Suzanne S. Barnhill
Microsoft MVP (Word)

From: Robert Macy on
On Nov 1, 2:03 pm, "Suzanne S. Barnhill" <sbarnh...(a)mvps.org> wrote:
> Jay has explained how to use Exact line spacing. Another possible gotcha
> here (also from ancient experience): if you happen to insert a picture into
> a paragraph with Exact line spacing, you'll see only a narrow strip of it,
> and it may be quite a while before you figure out what's wrong!
>
> --
> Suzanne S. Barnhill
> Microsoft MVP (Word)
> Words into Type
> Fairhope, Alabama USAhttp://word.mvps.org
>
> "Robert Macy" <m...(a)california.com> wrote in message

> > Word97 on Win98FE:
>
> > I need to adjust the line spacing whether a line contains slightly
> > larger fonts, or not.
>
> > I first tried outlining the text, then turning it into a table, 'none'
> > separation, and FORCE all to be 12 pt, matching the original font.
> > Looks great.
>
> > Then I made one character 16, which should just fit, but its presence
> > causes that single line to move down, and out of view ??  I tried page
> > setup layout fo this one line and that doesn't work, either.
>
> > So, how do I make the bottom edge of a line stay evenly spaced down
> > the paper?  Regardless of what that line contains?

Got it!

However, I've got a small problem, but can workaround it (I think)

All the 14 pt text highlighted, and Exact at 16 pt makes all the text
almost the same total height. And, there in lays the problem, "almost
the same height"

For most of my uses, this will be ok, just irksome. But could be
catastrophic if I neded it to match the other column beside it.

So, is there some way to put in line height of 16.05 pt?