From: Kid on
Hi

I want to get the hardware key path as the instance ID for my WMI event .

Here is some WDM function IoOpenDeviceRegistryKey to open hardware key,
but I can not get the hardware key path name in the tree of
HKLM\SYSTEM\CurrentControlSet\Enum .

Is there some way to get device key (hardware key) path in kernel mode ?

Thank you .
From: Maxim S. Shatskih on
> Is there some way to get device key (hardware key) path in kernel mode ?

No ways.

For instance IDs, create a device interface on your device and use its string as an ID, this is the classic way.

--
Maxim S. Shatskih
Windows DDK MVP

From: Kid on
But I found root\wmi Monitor Brightness event use hardware key path based
name as its instance
ID, do you know how can they approach it ?

What do you mean create an interface , which function can I use ?

I would like to use the software key as my instance ID, it is unique too and
we can get it by
WdfDeviceAllocAndQueryProperty function with
property=DevicePropertyDriverKeyName .

How do you think about software key ?

From: Pavel A. on
"Kid" <Kid(a)discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
> Hi
>
> I want to get the hardware key path as the instance ID for my WMI event .
>
> Here is some WDM function IoOpenDeviceRegistryKey to open hardware key,
> but I can not get the hardware key path name in the tree of
> HKLM\SYSTEM\CurrentControlSet\Enum .
>
> Is there some way to get device key (hardware key) path in kernel mode ?

To get the key name, use ZwQueryKey( ... KEY_NAME_INFORMATION.. )

-- pa

From: Doron Holan [MSFT] on
WMI lets you do this without knowing the key by specifying
WMIREG_FLAG_INSTANCE_PDO when you register the instance with wmi

"Maxim S. Shatskih" wrote:

> > Is there some way to get device key (hardware key) path in kernel mode ?
>
> No ways.
>
> For instance IDs, create a device interface on your device and use its
> string as an ID, this is the classic way.
>
> --
> Maxim S. Shatskih
> Windows DDK MVP
> maxim(a)storagecraft.com