From: kamran on
Hi
When I enter my start and end date (e.g. 4/1/10 to 4/5/10) the project
calculates 3 days, I like it to calculate 5 day, which means including the
start and end date in duration. How can I set this up. Please help....

Thank you
From: Andrew Lavinsky on
Typically, the system DOES include the Start and End date in the system.
In your example 4/1 - 4/5, that is three days: Thursday, Friday and Monday.
Do you wish to override the weekends? If so, simply create a new 7 day
calendar in Tools > Change Working Time and apply to the project and/or resources.

Then make sure the settings in Tools > Options > Calendar map to your new
settings.

- Andrew Lavinsky
Blog: http://blogs.catapultsystems.com/epm

From: kamran on
Thank you for the information. I still have a problem setting the newly
created 7-working day calender as a default for my project. My tasks do not
recognize this new setting. My task timeline keeps going back to the
standard calender.

Thank you

From: "Steve House" sjhouse at hotmail dot on
Once you have created the calendar, go to the Project menu, Project
Information, and designate it as the Project Calendar. The Timeline
display, though will still show the non-working days from the Standard
calendar untill you also right-click in the timeline, chose "timescale," the
non-working time tab, and switch from the Standard calendar to your new
7-day calendar.

Remember though, a 7-day calendar implies that when work starts on a task,
it proceeds every day without interruption. Don't your resources get a day
off? When you assign Joe to work on a task with a 2 week duration, does the
poor fellow really have to work every day until the task is done?
--
Steve House
MS Project Trainer & Consultant

From: Jim Aksel on
One other thing to consider. Do not enter dates into Project, let it
calculate the dates for you. Use predecessors to link the tasks and move
the dates to where they need to be based on their relationships to other
tasks.

Using the 7 day calendar (and the very busy resource as Steve pointed out),
you would establish a start date using a link, then key 5 days .... not
4/1/2010 and 4/5/2010.

I know it is off topic, but your post talked about input by date and that
got me nervous. Cheers
--
If this post was helpful, please consider rating it.

Jim Aksel, MVP

Check out my blog for more information:
http://www.msprojectblog.com

"kamran" wrote:

> Thank you for the information. I still have a problem setting the newly
> created 7-working day calender as a default for my project. My tasks do not
> recognize this new setting. My task timeline keeps going back to the
> standard calender.
>
> Thank you
>
> "Andrew Lavinsky" wrote:
>
> > Typically, the system DOES include the Start and End date in the system.
> > In your example 4/1 - 4/5, that is three days: Thursday, Friday and Monday.
> > Do you wish to override the weekends? If so, simply create a new 7 day
> > calendar in Tools > Change Working Time and apply to the project and/or resources.
> >
> > Then make sure the settings in Tools > Options > Calendar map to your new
> > settings.
> >
> > - Andrew Lavinsky
> > Blog: http://blogs.catapultsystems.com/epm
> >
> > > Hi When I enter my start and end date (e.g. 4/1/10 to 4/5/10) the
> > > project calculates 3 days, I like it to calculate 5 day, which means
> > > including the start and end date in duration. How can I set this up.
> > > Please help....
> > >
> > > Thank you
> > >

> > .

Pages: 1