From: Arun Vidarjee on
I just installed Slackware 13.1 on a P-III using only the
first CD. In the package selection I unchecked the two
KDE check boxes. At the step "continute to next CD?" I said
No. Now I have a running system, with access to a fast
ADSL-line, without X. My plan is to get xorg and openbox
going as the window manager.

I have used Slackware as server a long time ago, from 8.0
to 11 I guess. I always used either the binary packages
from slackware.com or linuxpackages.net or compiled from
source. Things have changed a lot in the mean time, I've
noticed.

What is your advice to go on with Xorg and openbox? lspci
says "00:02.0 VGA compatible controller: Intel Corporation
82815 Chipset Graphics Controller (CGC) (rev 04) ..."

How about the package management in general? Is slackbuild
the way to go for experienced shell users? I would be
thankful for any pointers, tutorials, etc.

regards
Arun
From: Giovanni on
On 06/07/10 11:49, Arun Vidarjee wrote:
> I just installed Slackware 13.1 on a P-III using only the first CD.
> In the package selection I unchecked the two KDE check boxes. At
> the step "continute to next CD?" I said No. Now I have a running
> system, with access to a fast ADSL-line, without X. My plan is to
> get xorg and openbox going as the window manager.
>
> I have used Slackware as server a long time ago, from 8.0 to 11 I
> guess. I always used either the binary packages from slackware.com
> or linuxpackages.net or compiled from source. Things have changed a
> lot in the mean time, I've noticed.
>
> What is your advice to go on with Xorg and openbox? lspci says
> "00:02.0 VGA compatible controller: Intel Corporation 82815 Chipset
> Graphics Controller (CGC) (rev 04) ..."

Make a list of the packages you need then mount the CDs and use
installpkg to install the packages you need.

Ciao
Giovanni
--
A computer is like an air conditioner,
it stops working when you open Windows.
From: Arun Vidarjee on
Am 06.06.2010 12:33, schrieb Giovanni:
> On 06/07/10 11:49, Arun Vidarjee wrote:
>>
>> What is your advice to go on with Xorg and openbox? lspci says
>> "00:02.0 VGA compatible controller: Intel Corporation 82815 Chipset
>> Graphics Controller (CGC) (rev 04) ..."
>
> Make a list of the packages you need then mount the CDs and use
> installpkg to install the packages you need.

There are some problems with that: Firstly I don't know which packages
are needed. Secondly I'm trying to proceed from this one CD and to get
the rest from the net - something like netinstall in other distros.

Thanks anyway.

Arun
From: Paweł Wlaź on

On Mon, 7 Jun 2010, Arun Vidarjee wrote:

> Am 06.06.2010 12:33, schrieb Giovanni:
>> On 06/07/10 11:49, Arun Vidarjee wrote:
>>>
>>> What is your advice to go on with Xorg and openbox? lspci says
>>> "00:02.0 VGA compatible controller: Intel Corporation 82815 Chipset
>>> Graphics Controller (CGC) (rev 04) ..."
>>
>> Make a list of the packages you need then mount the CDs and use
>> installpkg to install the packages you need.
>
> There are some problems with that: Firstly I don't know which packages
> are needed. Secondly I'm trying to proceed from this one CD and to get
> the rest from the net - something like netinstall in other distros.

Configure slackpkg and then you can install any slackware package with
slackpkg (which can download needed package from net)

Pawel

From: Arun Vidarjee on
Am 06.06.2010 14:06, schrieb Paweł Wlaź:

> Configure slackpkg and then you can install any slackware package with
> slackpkg (which can download needed package from net)

Thanks, very convinient! I've uncommented
ftp://sunsite.informatik.rwth-aachen.de/pub/Linux/slackware/slackware-current/

and got xorg (a couple of packages) and fluxbox, there was no openbox.

Still no response to startx "command not found". What other packages do
I need?

Arun
 |  Next  |  Last
Pages: 1 2 3