From: No Body on
Finally upgrading an old p3 box running ~slack10 (more or less) to
slack13. The box has an artop-based aec pci ide card in it which isn't
picked up by either install kernel (i have to use huge.s as hugesmp.s
hangs detecting devices on an adaptec scsi card). It appears there's
some ide-scsi layer in here though.. as i found the disks instantiated
with scsi devices (sd*) instead of ide (hd*). Is this type of direction
the future? It seems a little cheeky to handle one device type under
another device type's layer but if this is the direction the world's
taking i'll stick with it (i normally run my own compiled vanilla
kernels anyway so i can just as easily recompile with the aec driver
in-kernel).

thanks for any suggestions.. this is more a which-is-right question than
a how-to question (i can handle the how-to.. just not sure of
how-should-i :)

thx,
-r
From: Thrash Dude on
On Sun, 06 Jun 2010 08:41:07 -0400, No Body wrote:

> Finally upgrading an old p3 box running ~slack10 (more or less) to
> slack13. The box has an artop-based aec pci ide card in it which isn't
> picked up by either install kernel (i have to use huge.s as hugesmp.s
> hangs detecting devices on an adaptec scsi card). It appears there's
> some ide-scsi layer in here though.. as i found the disks instantiated
> with scsi devices (sd*) instead of ide (hd*). Is this type of direction
> the future? It seems a little cheeky to handle one device type under
> another device type's layer but if this is the direction the world's
> taking i'll stick with it (i normally run my own compiled vanilla
> kernels anyway so i can just as easily recompile with the aec driver
> in-kernel).
>
> thanks for any suggestions.. this is more a which-is-right question than
> a how-to question (i can handle the how-to.. just not sure of
> how-should-i :)
>
> thx,
> -r

IDE/PATA and SATA devices are now all handled by libata in the kernel.
Most (all?) upstream work is being put into libata. I agree though, after
it has been imprinted in our minds for so long, that first partition on
the first drive is labeled as /dev/hda1 and so forth - now there's a
change.

If it's any consolation, other distros moved to libata 4 or 5 years ago.
I'm glad Slackware waited, before recently, libata needed patches to
force it's support for all controllers. Some devices were dodgy at best.
There was a bit of trouble with atapi devices too. At least we're not
_forced_ to use dev by uuid yet ;)

Either way, if you want your devices listed as hd$, when you build the
kernel, re-enable the depreciated old IDE/PATA stack.