From: kjedwards on
>The host _does not have_ to provide connectivity if you use DSN'less
>connections. I don't think that one is more problematical than the other.
>You just have to know which one you are using and how it may affect the SQL
>syntax for the database in question. It may be that mySQL has issues with
>ODBC connections, but I doubt it. For more info, try here
>http://www.carlprothman.net/Default.aspx?tabid=90#ODBCDriverForMySQL

Thanks for that I will have a look tomorrow.

>Huh? There's a functions and variables reference in the Help. Though I do
>agree that the elimination of this guide from the printed manual is a bit of
>a pain. I can send you the pdf functions and variables reference last
>provided in 6.5, if that would help you. If you want it, edit my e.mail
>address as seems logical, then send me a mail off list

Thanks for the offer but I did manage to download these I think from the Adobe
Support site. I don't think a reference of funcions and variables constitutes a
scripting/programming guide. References are great if you have some familiarity
with the language but although useful they are hard work if you are just
learning - as is trying to pick your way through the many Examples provided.
Now if some of the examples could be documented to make them easier to follow
and so you could picture in your head the logic flow ......

Maybe a scripting guide will be added when Adobe bring out a new AW release

Yours

Kevin

From: Amy Blankenship *AdobeCommunityExpert* on

"kjedwards" <webforumsuser(a)macromedia.com> wrote in message
> >The host _does not have_ to provide connectivity if you use DSN'less
> >connections. I don't think that one is more problematical than the other.
> >You just have to know which one you are using and how it may affect the
> >SQL
> >syntax for the database in question. It may be that mySQL has issues with
> >ODBC connections, but I doubt it. For more info, try here
> >http://www.carlprothman.net/Default.aspx?tabid=90#ODBCDriverForMySQL
>
> Thanks for that I will have a look tomorrow.
>
> >Huh? There's a functions and variables reference in the Help. Though I do
> >agree that the elimination of this guide from the printed manual is a bit
> >of
> >a pain. I can send you the pdf functions and variables reference last
> >provided in 6.5, if that would help you. If you want it, edit my e.mail
> >address as seems logical, then send me a mail off list
>
> Thanks for the offer but I did manage to download these I think from the
> Adobe
> Support site. I don't think a reference of funcions and variables
> constitutes a
> scripting/programming guide. References are great if you have some
> familiarity
> with the language but although useful they are hard work if you are just
> learning - as is trying to pick your way through the many Examples
> provided.
> Now if some of the examples could be documented to make them easier to
> follow
> and so you could picture in your head the logic flow ......
>
> Maybe a scripting guide will be added when Adobe bring out a new AW
> release

I think the issue you're running into is that you're trying to learn the
script in isolation, when the MOST important part is the icons. The
definitive guide to the icons and to using the icons and scripting together
really is the help files. Though not perfect, it is pretty good. If you
want to pursue scripting in a way that just touches on the icons, you can
try the scripting manuals at www.dazzletech.com.

HTH;

Amy

From: kjedwards on
>I think the issue you're running into is that you're trying to learn the
>script in isolation, when the MOST important part is the icons. The
>definitive guide to the icons and to using the icons and scripting together
>really is the help files. Though not perfect, it is pretty good. If you
>want to pursue scripting in a way that just touches on the icons, you can
>try the scripting manuals at www.dazzletech.com.

Amy, me thinks you are right here, it's just that working with icons is so
very different from other programming languages. I think I need to stick with
it and put the time in to get to know the icons better.

I think a great help would be if the documentation giving details of the
functions and variables also included a catagorised listing, so, for example
all functions relating to strings could be found. At the moment I have to look
through a alpha list to try and find string related functions. Do you know if a
catagorised list of functions and variables is available?

Thanks again

Kevin

From: Mark Tomlinson on
Do you know if a
> catagorised list of functions and variables is available?
>
> Thanks again
>
> Kevin

This comes inbuilt in Authorware. Look in the functions box and there
is a 'Category' selection option. The one you want for string
manipulation is the Character category.

Mark
From: kjedwards on
Hi

I managed to get the DNS-less connection working to MS Access via the AW
ODBC.U32

Seeing the returned data, I now understand why PHP/ASP etc is used to return
data as a string when connecting to MySQL.

Can I now ask for a recommendation? Which is the preferred way of connecting
to MSSQL - DNS-Less connection via the ODBC.U32 or the PHP/ASP method? Is one
method more efficient or reliable than the other?

Many thanks

Kevin

First  |  Prev  |  Next  |  Last
Pages: 1 2 3 4 5