From: Roger Pryor on
Hi:

I'm looking for pointers on how to refresh an openSUSE 11.2 installation,
by refresh I mean re-installation all of the packages that are currently
installed, regardless of whether or not there is a newer version. My
system has become a bit moth-eaten after a large number of crashes,
possibly due to hardware issues, and also due to the poor AC power here.
Doing this by hand through YAST - well - shudder!

Any tips on how to do this would be appreciated, CLI is fine, and possibly
the only way to do this.

TIA

Roger Pryor
Sunset Crest, Barbados, W.I.
From: Malcolm on
On Wed, 3 Mar 2010 19:01:18 -0400
Roger Pryor <rpryor(a)infoserve.net> wrote:

> Hi:
>
> I'm looking for pointers on how to refresh an openSUSE 11.2
> installation, by refresh I mean re-installation all of the packages
> that are currently installed, regardless of whether or not there is a
> newer version. My system has become a bit moth-eaten after a large
> number of crashes, possibly due to hardware issues, and also due to
> the poor AC power here. Doing this by hand through YAST - well -
> shudder!
>
> Any tips on how to do this would be appreciated, CLI is fine, and
> possibly the only way to do this.
>
> TIA

> Roger Pryor
> Sunset Crest, Barbados, W.I.
Hi
In YaST you should be able to select @system under repositories and
select Package -> all in this list -> update unconditionally.

I suggest you make sure the dvd is in and disable the online oss
repository, refresh the repositories and then do the above, unless you
want to pull everything over the wire.

--
Cheers Malcolm ��� (Linux Counter #276890)
SUSE Linux Enterprise Desktop 11 (x86_64) Kernel 2.6.27.45-0.1-default

From: Roger Pryor on
On Wed, 3 Mar 2010 17:11:19 -0600
Malcolm <malcolm_nospamlewis(a)bellsouth.net> wrote:
> > I'm looking for pointers on how to refresh an openSUSE 11.2
> > installation
> Hi
> In YaST you should be able to select @system under repositories and
> select Package -> all in this list -> update unconditionally.
>
> I suggest you make sure the dvd is in and disable the online oss
> repository, refresh the repositories and then do the above, unless you
> want to pull everything over the wire.
>
> --
> Cheers Malcolm °¿° (Linux Counter #276890)

Hi Malcom:

Wow - Thank you. Once I knew it was possible, it became easy - its doing
it now. How long it will take - well we shall see - just hope Idon't get
a power bump during the process. Regarding the DVD - it asked for it
anyway. Didn't want to do that by hand for ~2000 packages!

Roger Pryor
Sunset Crest, Barbados, W.I.
From: Roger Pryor on
On Thu, 4 Mar 2010 13:19:01 +0100
houghi <houghi(a)houghi.org.invalid> wrote:

> Roger Pryor wrote:
> > Hi Malcom:
> >
> > Wow - Thank you. Once I knew it was possible, it became easy - its
> > doing it now. How long it will take - well we shall see - just hope
> > Idon't get a power bump during the process. Regarding the DVD - it
> > asked for it anyway. Didn't want to do that by hand for ~2000 packages!
>
> If you get a powerbump, you can always use the dvd to do a repair for
> you.
>
> Just curious, what was the reason you wanted to do it?
>
> houghi
> --
> Quote correct (NL) http://www.briachons.org/art/quote/
> Zitiere richtig (DE) http://www.afaik.de/usenet/faq/zitieren
> Quote correctly (EN) http://www.netmeister.org/news/learn2quote.html

Hi Houghi:

My system had become unstable, and I suspect that repeated power failures
may have corrupted some program files. For example for some reason Opera
cannot run past midnight without locking the system - no mouse or
keyboard. That was fairly repeatable, I don't think it was Opera per se,
but one of the plugins. Other strange things, cp and ffmpeg crashing and so
on.

I've never had much luck with repairs in the past - they either totally
borked the system, or failed to find anything wrong!

The reload took about 4 hours.

Thank you again Malcom

Roger Pryor
Sunset Crest, Barbados, W.I.
From: Malcolm on
On Thu, 4 Mar 2010 08:50:39 -0400
Roger Pryor <rpryor(a)infoserve.net> wrote:

> The reload took about 4 hours.
>
> Thank you again Malcom
Hi
Your welcome, sure your not having RAM problems? I would look at
booting from the install DVD and running memtest86 at least overnight.

The other one is to run prime95 to load up the system as well....

Might be time to invest in a small UPS?

--
Cheers Malcolm ��� (Linux Counter #276890)
SUSE Linux Enterprise Desktop 11 (x86_64) Kernel 2.6.27.45-0.1-default
up 1 day 8:58, 2 users, load average: 3.52, 3.95, 3.87
GPU GeForce 8600 GTS Silent - CUDA Driver Version: 190.53

 |  Next  |  Last
Pages: 1 2
Prev: KDE
Next: Creating a list of added packages