From: Paul Thompson on
has gotten so flaky I would like to switch to Gnome. Going to
YaST-Software Management and selecting the Gnome Desktop package, as
soon as I press Accept it goes to the download screen and then YaST
blows out. Any ideas on how I can get to Gnome?

Thanks
Paul
From: DenverD on
try it with zypper..

or, you might try reinstalling yast by using zypper..that might fix
the yast problem..

--
DenverD (Linux Counter 282315) via Thunderbird 2.0.0.23 (20090817),
KDE 3.5.7 "release 72-11", openSUSE Linux 10.3, 2.6.22.19-0.4-default
#1 SMP i686 athlon
From: LSMFT on
Paul Thompson wrote:
> has gotten so flaky I would like to switch to Gnome. Going to
> YaST-Software Management and selecting the Gnome Desktop package, as
> soon as I press Accept it goes to the download screen and then YaST
> blows out. Any ideas on how I can get to Gnome?
>
> Thanks
> Paul
Did you select Install before you clicked Accept?
From: Darklight on
Paul Thompson wrote:

> has gotten so flaky I would like to switch to Gnome. Going to
> YaST-Software Management and selecting the Gnome Desktop package, as
> soon as I press Accept it goes to the download screen and then YaST
> blows out. Any ideas on how I can get to Gnome?
>
> Thanks
> Paul

I find smart package manager does a better job than YaST2. If you do decide
to use it go here http://download.opensuse.org/repositories/ find the
repositories you want configure smart to use them and bobs your uncle.

I find yast2 does not like rmp-md directories i could never get YaST2 to
recognise them. thats my lack of knowledge there.
From: Darklight on
houghi wrote:

> Darklight wrote:
>> I find smart package manager does a better job than YaST2. If you do
>> decide to use it go here http://download.opensuse.org/repositories/ find
>> the repositories you want configure smart to use them and bobs your
>> uncle.
>>
>> I find yast2 does not like rmp-md directories i could never get YaST2 to
>> recognise them. thats my lack of knowledge there.
>
> UI start to use zypper more and more. I have an alias zyp that basically
> does `sudo zypper in`. So installing software is `zyp program`. I enter
> the sudo password and my uncle is also Bob.
>
> If I do not know what to install, I do a search with the website and use
> the 1-click-install (or use OCICLI).
>
> For me that adds the correct repo's and what not.
>
> houghi

That's why i like linux there's always more than one way to do a thing.
I don't have to do a web site search just put what i want in the
smart package manager look up and job done.