From: Patrick on
Hi,

We are new to SQL Server 2008.

We make daily FULL backup of production database at night and
transaction log backup every hour by maintenance plan.

We also grant privilege to run FULL Database Backup by using the
following SQL:
BACKUP DATABASE [Finance_Live] TO DISK = N'D:\FINBackup\FLIVE.bak' WITH INIT

We have tested the script above for a number of times between 4:00pm and
4:45pm.

When we attempt to restore the backup (FLIVE.BAK) to a new database (For
testing), we find that we have to use the FLIVE.BAK instead of the FULL
Backup last night + All today's transaction log backup.

When we attempt to restore the database Point In Time to 4:25pm, SQL
Server chooses the FLIVE.BAK File (at 4:23pm) and transaction Log. Sine
that FLIVE.BAK at 4:25pm is overwritten by the later backup (The latest
one is 4:47pm), we get the following error message:

TITLE: Microsoft SQL Server Management
Studio------------------------------ Restore failed for Server
'SERVER1'. (Microsoft.SqlServer.SmoExtended) For help, click:
http://go.microsoft.com/fwlink?ProdName=Microsoft+SQL+Server&ProdVer=10.0.2531.0+((Katmai_PCU_Main).090329-1015+)&EvtSrc=Microsoft.SqlServer.Management.Smo.ExceptionTemplates.FailedOperationExceptionText&EvtID=Restore+Server&LinkId=20476
------------------------------ADDITIONAL INFORMATION:
System.Data.SqlClient.SqlError: The specified STOPAT time is too early.
Allor part of the database is already rolled forward beyond that
point.(Microsoft.SqlServer.Smo) For help, click:
http://go.microsoft.com/fwlink?ProdName=Microsoft+SQL+Server&ProdVer=10.0.2531.0+((Katmai_PCU_Main).090329-1015+)&LinkId=20476
------------------------------BUTTONS: OK------------------------------

We would like to know is there any way to restore Point In Time to
4:25pm ? We did have full backup last night + all transaction log today.

Thanks again.
From: Uri Dimant on
http://www.karaszi.com/SQLServer/info_restore_no_truncate.asp

From: jgurgul on
Hi,

You may also want to look at WITH COPY_ONLY:

Jon

From: Tibor Karaszi on
Whenever the GUI acts up on you, do it yourself. I have read the post
several times, but I can't make heads or tails of what backups you produced
and what are still available (those not available has been overwritten using
INIT, perhaps). If you can post such a description, it would be much easier
for us to help. Something like:

13:00 Full
13:30 Log
14:40 Log
14:45 Full (no longer available - overwritten)
14:50 Log

With above information, we will be able to tell you what restore options you
have. Note that the GUI will only base its restore suggestion on backup
history - it will not verify that the stuff is still there....

--
Tibor Karaszi, SQL Server MVP
http://www.karaszi.com/sqlserver/default.asp

From: Patrick on
Dear all,

Many thanks for your advice.

02:00 Full (Maintenance Plan)
07:00 Log
14:00 Log
15:00 Log
16:00 Log
16:02 Full (Manual / No longer available - overwritten)
16:15 Full (Manual / No longer available - overwritten)
16:23 Full (Manual / No longer available - overwritten)
16:45 Full (Manual)
17:00 Log

Is there any way to restore database point in time to 16:25 by using
0:2:00 Full + Transaction Logs ?

Thanks again
Patrick