From: ferroburak on
On 24 Aralık, 16:37, TW <timwess...(a)gmail.com> wrote:
> > I didn't ask a time consuming programming question. It's a simple
> > question yet even HP represantatives (I contacted Hp too!) don't know
> > how to handle.
>
> I am guessing because you didn't provide enough information to them,
> just like to us here. When we have to "guess" on everything besides
> the fact that you'd like to search a text file, we will obviously have
> a difficult time providing a good answer.
>
> Are you running ALG or RPN?
> Where is the text file located in memory?
> Are you trying to get large text files with notes and search to find
> information within it?
> How big are the files?
> Are you trying to just locate something within, or modify it?
>
> > Btw I made some tests and search utility is nearly useless. (It says
> > lacking memory, not enough memory etc. even when memory is totally
> > empty.)
>
> I am guessing you are trying to search in very large files. Running
> EDITB on a file from the SD card first copies it into RAM (of which
> you only have a little less than 256kb) and then a second copy might
> be created.
>
> In other words, if you'd like a good reply with solutions on how to do
> what you'd like, please take a little time to make a good question and
> detail exactly what you are trying to do so we don't have to guess.
> You will get better answers, and people will still want to help you.
>
> TW

Hi,

It's a 30 page document with size 50 kb. I tried putting it on sd and
other folders. But this didn't make a difference (working on sd cart
looked better in fact)

Thanks.

From: ferroburak on
On 24 Aralık, 19:28, ferroburak <ferrobu...(a)gmail.com> wrote:
> On 24 Aralık, 16:37, TW <timwess...(a)gmail.com> wrote:
>

> > > I didn't ask a time consuming programming question. It's a simple
> > > question yet even HP represantatives (I contacted Hp too!) don't know
> > > how to handle.
>
> > I am guessing because you didn't provide enough information to them,
> > just like to us here. When we have to "guess" on everything besides
> > the fact that you'd like to search a text file, we will obviously have
> > a difficult time providing a good answer.
>
> > Are you running ALG or RPN?
> > Where is the text file located in memory?
> > Are you trying to get large text files with notes and search to find
> > information within it?
> > How big are the files?
> > Are you trying to just locate something within, or modify it?
>
> > > Btw I made some tests and search utility is nearly useless. (It says
> > > lacking memory, not enough memory etc. even when memory is totally
> > > empty.)
>
> > I am guessing you are trying to search in very large files. Running
> > EDITB on a file from the SD card first copies it into RAM (of which
> > you only have a little less than 256kb) and then a second copy might
> > be created.
>
> > In other words, if you'd like a good reply with solutions on how to do
> > what you'd like, please take a little time to make a good question and
> > detail exactly what you are trying to do so we don't have to guess.
> > You will get better answers, and people will still want to help you.
>
> > TW
>
> Hi,
>
> It's a 30 page document with size 50 kb. I tried putting it on sd and
> other folders. But this didn't make a difference (working on sd cart
> looked better in fact)
>
> Thanks.

Algebraic mode, trying to locate a word with many occurances.
From: Dave Hayden on
On Dec 24, 1:28 pm, ferroburak <ferrobu...(a)gmail.com> wrote:
> It's a 30 page document with size 50 kb. I tried putting it on sd and
> other folders. But this didn't make a difference (working on sd cart
> looked better in fact)

When you say you want to "search within" a text file, what should the
results of the search be? The position within the file where the text
was found? The number of occurrences? Show the file with the found
text highlighted?

I suspect that you're really looking for a way to browse through a
text document, including searching. Is that right? If not, then can
you describe, in general terms, what you're trying to accomplish?

Thanks,
Dave
From: John H Meyers on
Small programs for string search:

@ "string" "findthis" startpos -> match_pos (else zero)
":: CK3&Dispatch # 331 :: COERCE POS$ UNCOERCE ; ;
@" ASM 'POSN' STO

In binary form for 49G/50G series:

"D9D20A03621192013300D9D201F262AF8736F262B2130B2130"
64 STWS DUP BYTES DROP #3673h == #100001h * LIBEVAL
'POSN' STO @ a libeval error indicates checksum mismatch

Note that the built-in POS command is equivalent to 1 POSN,
and that POSN permits continuing to find the next instance
in the same original string,
without having to remove up to what POS might initially find.

Case-insensitive POS[N] versions:

\<< SWAP LCASE SWAP LCASE POS \>> 'POS2' STO
\<< ROT LCASE ROT LCASE ROT POSN \>> 'POSN2' STO

LCASE (and UCASE) may be obtained from the following post,
in direct binary forms as well as source,
including even a UserRPL substitute covering many situations:
http://groups.google.com/group/comp.sys.hp48/msg/015b461d5c0e9956

LCASE (and UCASE) may also be extracted from this binary package:
http://www.hpcalc.org/search.php?query=roldxj

Since there is a case-insensitive "find" in the 49G/50G string editor,
there must also be some equivalent in ROM, but where? (any flashptrs?)

The built-in EDITB, for a string, has FIND, REPL, NEXT Etc. functions
(first press NXT, SEARCH) with the aforementioned case-insensitive option.

Flag -73 controls whether minifont (vs. "system" font) is used for EDITB..

\<< DUP EDITB DROP \>> may be used as a viewer (preventing changes).

[r->] [OFF]
From: News from OZ on
Sounds to me like you're using it to search for exam answers in a text file
on your calc

--
Dan Field
(Graduate Surveyor)