From: Eric on
When I set task based on schedule, it requests to input the passwords, but I
don't set any password on my XP with SP3, and the task cannot be performed.
Does anyone have any suggestions on how to set task without passwords?
Thanks in advance for any suggestions
Eric
From: Pegasus [MVP] on

"Eric" <Eric(a)discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
> When I set task based on schedule, it requests to input the passwords, but
> don't set any password on my XP with SP3, and the task cannot be
> performed.
> Does anyone have any suggestions on how to set task without passwords?
> Thanks in advance for any suggestions
> Eric

By far the simplest method is to create a dedicated account (e.g.
"Scheduler"), give it a password, then run all scheduled tasks under this
account. Make sure to set the password as "non-expiring"!

From: VanguardLH on
Eric wrote:

> When I set task based on schedule, it requests to input the passwords, but I
> don't set any password on my XP with SP3, and the task cannot be performed.
> Does anyone have any suggestions on how to set task without passwords?
> Thanks in advance for any suggestions
> Eric

Scheduled tasks won't run if the account has no password (or it is blank).

http://support.microsoft.com/kb/310715

The .job files are lumped together in the same folder (with permissions set
for the account that created them). Authorization to execute the task also
relies on permissions but you don't have any (to login) if you cannot verify
your login credentials - and a blank value cannot be authenticated.
Although it is called a "blank" password, it is not composed of some fixed
number of space characters (blanks) that you entered. It is actually a null
value; i.e., there are NO characters specified for the password.

Because you can assign different accounts to run a scheduled task (provided
the other account has permissions needed to run the task), it doesn't know
which account you might specify. Although blank/null passwords are
permitted, they are considered a security breach and a very poor setup of
your OS. If you didn't want to have separate accounts along with login
security then you should've stayed back on Windows 98.
From: KG on
On Thu, 22 Apr 2010 10:29:31 +0200, "Pegasus [MVP]" <news(a)microsoft.com> wrote:

>"Eric" <Eric(a)discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
>> When I set task based on schedule, it requests to input the passwords, but
>> don't set any password on my XP with SP3, and the task cannot be
>> performed.
>> Does anyone have any suggestions on how to set task without passwords?
>> Thanks in advance for any suggestions
>> Eric
>
>By far the simplest method is to create a dedicated account (e.g.
>"Scheduler"), give it a password, then run all scheduled tasks under this
>account. Make sure to set the password as "non-expiring"!
Another way that works for me is to ck on the task screen the "Run only if logged on" box.
*****************
Thank You kgsAT(a)msbx.net

To reply to this email please remove the AT
after the kgs in the reply to address as shown above.

"Never argue with the ignorant.
They can't tell when you've won."
From: Twayne on
In news:D6396742-7F6D-424A-A203-6677F0F97A4F(a)microsoft.com,
Eric <Eric(a)discussions.microsoft.com> typed:
> When I set task based on schedule, it requests to input the
> passwords, but I don't set any password on my XP with SP3,
> and the task cannot be performed. Does anyone have any
> suggestions on how to set task without passwords? Thanks in
> advance for any suggestions
> Eric

Set a password, then go and set up to auto-enter the password so you don't
have to mess with the name/password screen.