From: Eric on
I need to consistently download patch on following web site, but the file
name keeps changing based on date, for example
http://definitions.symantec.com/defs/20100421-002-x86.exe
http://definitions.symantec.com/defs/yyymmdd-002-x86.exe

Does anyone have any suggestions on how to code a batch file to download the
patch based on specific date format? so I can set schedule task to run it.
Does anyone have any suggestions?
Thanks in advance for any suggestions
Eric

From: Pegasus [MVP] on

"Eric" <Eric(a)discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
> I need to consistently download patch on following web site, but the file
> name keeps changing based on date, for example
> http://definitions.symantec.com/defs/20100421-002-x86.exe
> http://definitions.symantec.com/defs/yyymmdd-002-x86.exe
>
> Does anyone have any suggestions on how to code a batch file to download
> the
> patch based on specific date format? so I can set schedule task to run it.
> Does anyone have any suggestions?
> Thanks in advance for any suggestions
> Eric

It depends on your regional settings. What exactly do you see when you type
this command at the Command Prompt:

echo %date%

From: HeyBub on
Eric wrote:
> I need to consistently download patch on following web site, but the
> file name keeps changing based on date, for example
> http://definitions.symantec.com/defs/20100421-002-x86.exe
> http://definitions.symantec.com/defs/yyymmdd-002-x86.exe
>
> Does anyone have any suggestions on how to code a batch file to
> download the patch based on specific date format? so I can set
> schedule task to run it. Does anyone have any suggestions?
> Thanks in advance for any suggestions
> Eric

Even if you ARE successful, you're asking for trouble. Yesterday McAfee
finally caught up to Symantec in the race to slow down computers.

From: Pegasus [MVP] on

"HeyBub" <heybub(a)gmail.com> wrote in message
> Eric wrote:
>> I need to consistently download patch on following web site, but the
>> file name keeps changing based on date, for example
>> http://definitions.symantec.com/defs/20100421-002-x86.exe
>> http://definitions.symantec.com/defs/yyymmdd-002-x86.exe
>>
>> Does anyone have any suggestions on how to code a batch file to
>> download the patch based on specific date format? so I can set
>> schedule task to run it. Does anyone have any suggestions?
>> Thanks in advance for any suggestions
>> Eric
>
> Even if you ARE successful, you're asking for trouble. Yesterday McAfee
> finally caught up to Symantec in the race to slow down computers.

LOL!

From: Bob I on

HeyBub wrote:

> Eric wrote:
>
>>I need to consistently download patch on following web site, but the
>>file name keeps changing based on date, for example
>>http://definitions.symantec.com/defs/20100421-002-x86.exe
>>http://definitions.symantec.com/defs/yyymmdd-002-x86.exe
>>
>>Does anyone have any suggestions on how to code a batch file to
>>download the patch based on specific date format? so I can set
>>schedule task to run it. Does anyone have any suggestions?
>>Thanks in advance for any suggestions
>>Eric
>

> Even if you ARE successful, you're asking for trouble. Yesterday McAfee
> finally caught up to Symantec in the race to slow down computers.

Slow, or KILL?