From: "Gera" <gera@ on
Sometimes I get error
Information Store (5984) First Storage Group: A bad page link (error -327)
has been detected in a B-Tree (ObjectId: 205, PgnoRoot: 604) of database
X:\Exchsrvr\mdbdata\VIP.edb (1813406 => 1813407, 1812551).

On our Exchange 2003/SP1 Ent.

Is it possible to solve this problem by moving mailboxes to another mailbox
store on the same server server, then deleting this "bad" VIP store? If no,
what is other way to solve this problem? We do not have a 2 month's backup.

How bad is this error at all? First time it appeared month ago, then
yesterday.

--
Gera

From: Andy Rath [MVP Exchange] on
Hi Gera,
take a look at this article:
http://support.microsoft.com/kb/810190/en-us

be sure to have an online fullbackup of your exchange server. Information
may be lost during eseutil /p. Be sure to have at least as much free
diskspace as the size of the Database is.
You can use ntbackup on the exchange box or on any other windows server 2003
with exchange systemmanager installed. So you can backup to a file. Even if
the backup target is a networkshare. You may make an offline backup also
(just dismount the stores and copy them).
Your Solution might work also. Do not start without backup!

cheers,
Andy

From: Rich Matheisen [MVP] on
"Andy Rath [MVP Exchange]" <andy.rath(a)promptsolutions.de> wrote:

>Hi Gera,
>take a look at this article:
>http://support.microsoft.com/kb/810190/en-us
>
>be sure to have an online fullbackup of your exchange server. Information
>may be lost during eseutil /p. Be sure to have at least as much free
>diskspace as the size of the Database is.

For a repair? Repairs usually only need about 10% - 20% the size of
the database. A defrag needs about 110% the size of the database
because it's not only creating an "index" database but also creating a
whole need mdb fle.

>You can use ntbackup on the exchange box or on any other windows server 2003
>with exchange systemmanager installed. So you can backup to a file. Even if
>the backup target is a networkshare. You may make an offline backup also
>(just dismount the stores and copy them).
>Your Solution might work also. Do not start without backup!

Excellent advice. :)

--
Rich Matheisen
MCSE+I, Exchange MVP
From: Andy Rath [MVP Exchange] on
Hi Rich,

"Rich Matheisen [MVP]" <richnews(a)rmcons.com.NOSPAM.COM> schrieb im
Newsbeitrag news:c6amc1tl10jo9u402prmk2vbliki1eoqqh(a)4ax.com...
> "Andy Rath [MVP Exchange]" <andy.rath(a)promptsolutions.de> wrote:
>
>>Hi Gera,
>>take a look at this article:
>>http://support.microsoft.com/kb/810190/en-us
>>
>>be sure to have an online fullbackup of your exchange server. Information
>>may be lost during eseutil /p. Be sure to have at least as much free
>>diskspace as the size of the Database is.
>
> For a repair? Repairs usually only need about 10% - 20% the size of
> the database. A defrag needs about 110% the size of the database
> because it's not only creating an "index" database but also creating a
> whole need mdb fle.

youýre right. There was another thread about to less diskspace....
But good to see that somebody reads what i write ;-)

>>You can use ntbackup on the exchange box or on any other windows server
>>2003
>>with exchange systemmanager installed. So you can backup to a file. Even
>>if
>>the backup target is a networkshare. You may make an offline backup also
>>(just dismount the stores and copy them).
>>Your Solution might work also. Do not start without backup!
>
> Excellent advice. :)

a lot more people should know that you can do a online full from/to another
Windows box. Iýve seen to many companies without a (valid) backup after a
disaster. A 100$ Disk would have done the job... .-|

cheers,
Andy

Pages: 1
Prev: Error 5007