From: DWalker07 on
Speaking of hardware, does anyone know of a good way to store spare PCI,
AGP, PCI Express, etc. controller cards? Putting them back into an anti-
static bag and shoving them into a drawer has been my default method of
keeping them.

But when you want to look for something, it's not convenient. I tried a
few searches on the 'net but it's hard to come up with good search terms...
Any suggestions would be great. Thanks.

David Walker
From: Jeff Barnett on
DWalker07 wrote:
> Speaking of hardware, does anyone know of a good way to store spare PCI,
> AGP, PCI Express, etc. controller cards? Putting them back into an anti-
> static bag and shoving them into a drawer has been my default method of
> keeping them.
>
> But when you want to look for something, it's not convenient. I tried a
> few searches on the 'net but it's hard to come up with good search terms...
> Any suggestions would be great. Thanks.
>
> David Walker

The only improvements I know are the following: 1) If you have the
original box, put the anti-static bag in it with the docs, CD, etc., and
2) If you don't have a box put a label with BIG printing on the bag,
it's really hard to peek through the plastic to see if you have the
right bag.
--
Jeff Barnett
From: Leythos on
In article <ORFlxpS8KHA.1436(a)TK2MSFTNGP06.phx.gbl>, none(a)none.com
says...

> Speaking of hardware, does anyone know of a good way to store spare PCI,
> AGP, PCI Express, etc. controller cards? Putting them back into an anti-
> static bag and shoving them into a drawer has been my default method of
> keeping them.
>
> But when you want to look for something, it's not convenient. I tried a
> few searches on the 'net but it's hard to come up with good search terms...
> Any suggestions would be great. Thanks.
>
> David Walker

I have dozens of computer components and keep them in ESD bags and then
in plastic containers so that they are grouped by the same type.

So, Serial Cards are in a box in their own esd bag with a label on the
outside of the box.... same for the others.

Trust yourself.
From: DWalker07 on
Leythos <spam999free(a)rrohio.com> wrote in

> In article <ORFlxpS8KHA.1436(a)TK2MSFTNGP06.phx.gbl>, none(a)none.com
> says...
>>
>> Speaking of hardware, does anyone know of a good way to store spare
>> PCI, AGP, PCI Express, etc. controller cards? Putting them back into
>> an anti- static bag and shoving them into a drawer has been my
>> default method of keeping them.
>>
>> But when you want to look for something, it's not convenient. I
>> tried a few searches on the 'net but it's hard to come up with good
>> search terms... Any suggestions would be great. Thanks.
>>
>> David Walker
>
> I have dozens of computer components and keep them in ESD bags and
> then in plastic containers so that they are grouped by the same type.
>
> So, Serial Cards are in a box in their own esd bag with a label on the
> outside of the box.... same for the others.

Hmm... I wanted something that would not take a lot of space, so the
other suggestion of keeping each card's original box won't work for me,
but yours sounds better. I would like to have them grouped by type.

For things like video cards, I have been looking up the year that the
card's processor was first released (Wikipedia has good references for
ATI and NVidia) and marking that on the card. The year is a very rough
proxy for the card's performance, since I'm not doing any gaming where I
*really* need to know the frame rate or anything like that.

I'll consider that approach. Thanks.

David
From: SC Tom on

"DWalker07" <none(a)none.com> wrote in message
> Leythos <spam999free(a)rrohio.com> wrote in
>
>> In article <ORFlxpS8KHA.1436(a)TK2MSFTNGP06.phx.gbl>, none(a)none.com
>> says...
>>>
>>> Speaking of hardware, does anyone know of a good way to store spare
>>> PCI, AGP, PCI Express, etc. controller cards? Putting them back into
>>> an anti- static bag and shoving them into a drawer has been my
>>> default method of keeping them.
>>>
>>> But when you want to look for something, it's not convenient. I
>>> tried a few searches on the 'net but it's hard to come up with good
>>> search terms... Any suggestions would be great. Thanks.
>>>
>>> David Walker
>>
>> I have dozens of computer components and keep them in ESD bags and
>> then in plastic containers so that they are grouped by the same type.
>>
>> So, Serial Cards are in a box in their own esd bag with a label on the
>> outside of the box.... same for the others.
>>

> Hmm... I wanted something that would not take a lot of space, so the
> other suggestion of keeping each card's original box won't work for me,
> but yours sounds better. I would like to have them grouped by type.
>
> For things like video cards, I have been looking up the year that the
> card's processor was first released (Wikipedia has good references for
> ATI and NVidia) and marking that on the card. The year is a very rough
> proxy for the card's performance, since I'm not doing any gaming where I
> *really* need to know the frame rate or anything like that.
>
> I'll consider that approach. Thanks.
>
> David

I know it's not for everyone, but I have a few video cards, 2 or 3 sound
cards, and a couple of NIC's. I put them in the ESD bags and label the
outside with the model number of each, then store them behind the books in
my den's (where my PC's located) bookcase . The bookcase shelves are deep
enough that there is 3 or 4" behind the books. Since it's a double bookcase
with 6 shelves in one and 5 in the other, I have lots of room. Maybe not the
best way, but they're out of sight, don't take up any room, and are easily
accessible.
--
SC Tom