From: Wyman on
Hi all -

I'm trying to help some friends fixed their computer. They have a Gateway
816gm running WinXP. The issue they were having was that the computer would
just shut completely down for no reason if they were using it and then
stopped period. I pre-diagnosed this as maybe a power supply, motherboard,
or graphics card issue. So they brought the computer over and it wouldn't
boot up at all. All the fans(power supply, g/c, and processor) came after
pressing the power. However, I did not hear the hard drives or the dvd
burner spinning. The hard drive LED light on the front was a yellowish
color.

We bought a new power supply and tried it with the same results. I also
switched video cards and changed the hard drive cable and got the same
results. I'm now here looking for assistance. My next guess would be the
motherboard that's causing the problem. Is there a way to test this?

Any suggestions would greatly be appreciated.

Thanks in advance,
Wyman

From: Paul on
Wyman wrote:
> Hi all -
>
> I'm trying to help some friends fixed their computer. They have a Gateway
> 816gm running WinXP. The issue they were having was that the computer would
> just shut completely down for no reason if they were using it and then
> stopped period. I pre-diagnosed this as maybe a power supply, motherboard,
> or graphics card issue. So they brought the computer over and it wouldn't
> boot up at all. All the fans(power supply, g/c, and processor) came after
> pressing the power. However, I did not hear the hard drives or the dvd
> burner spinning. The hard drive LED light on the front was a yellowish
> color.
>
> We bought a new power supply and tried it with the same results. I also
> switched video cards and changed the hard drive cable and got the same
> results. I'm now here looking for assistance. My next guess would be the
> motherboard that's causing the problem. Is there a way to test this?
>
> Any suggestions would greatly be appreciated.
>
> Thanks in advance,
> Wyman

An overheating CPU can cause the box to shut down (THERMTRIP).
An overheating or overloaded power supply can also shut down and
latch off. In cases like that, it may require toggling the main
power switch on the back, before the computer will respond to
the power button again.

Your test result tells you the power supply is not completely dead.
You've proved the logic path from the power switch to the PSU works.
You don't have measured values for all the supply rails, so there
could still be something wrong there.

I recommend reducing the hardware plugged into the computer,
and doing some "beep tests". When I suggest these, my assumption
is the computer case either has a speaker or a black piezo disk on
the motherboard, that beeps on errors.

If you remove the RAM and/or video card, that should cause the
computer to beep. (Always add or remove components, with all
power removed from the computer. Pull the cord to be sure.)
And the beep pattern requires a working processor. If you can
get some beeping, then it could be one of the items you just
removed from the computer, was dragging it down.

If it won't beep with RAM and video missing, and drives disconnected,
you're down to processor, motherboard, power supply, BIOS flash
chip and so on. Make sure the processor 2x2 ATX12V power cable
is connected. The power cables have latches on them, and their
purpose is to prevent the connector from "walking out" of its
mate. A loose connector, can actually have the pins burn on it.
Pull the power connectors and verify they're shiny and not
blackened. I've had one Molex 1x4 burn here, so it does happen.
In my case, the advanced warning was the fact that the cable
I was using, never seemed to fit right, and always required
fiddling to get it seated.

You don't mention the results of any visual inspection. Your
very first step, is to look for leaking capacitors, as the
capacitor plague from years past, involved millions of bad
capacitors. More info here on what to look for. Some Dells
were pretty hard hit on certain model numbers.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Capacitor_plague

Split pressure-relief seams:

http://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedia/commons/9/96/Badcaps-tayeh-4.jpg

Rust colored deposits:

http://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedia/commons/8/84/PSU_Caps.jpg

I lost a power supply, and it had the rust colored stuff on
four caps. It used to "sizzle" at startup, and after it
warmed up for a minute, might be OK for the rest of the day.
Fortunately, I stopped using it before it had a chance to
blow up or ruin stuff. (The funny thing was, the power
supply was used very little. The capacitor plague, doesn't
require stress to accelerate failure. They can fail on
their own, without help.)

Bad caps can cause collateral damage. When a cap fails short
circuit, it upsets devices driving it, and they can get burned
too. By that time, you should be smelling something...

Paul
From: Wyman G. on

"Paul" wrote:

> [...]
>
> http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Capacitor_plague
>
> Split pressure-relief seams:
>
> http://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedia/commons/9/96/Badcaps-tayeh-4.jpg
>
> Rust colored deposits:
>
> http://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedia/commons/8/84/PSU_Caps.jpg
>
> I lost a power supply, and it had the rust colored stuff on
> four caps. It used to "sizzle" at startup, and after it
> warmed up for a minute, might be OK for the rest of the day.
> Fortunately, I stopped using it before it had a chance to
> blow up or ruin stuff. (The funny thing was, the power
> supply was used very little. The capacitor plague, doesn't
> require stress to accelerate failure. They can fail on
> their own, without help.)
>
> Bad caps can cause collateral damage. When a cap fails short
> circuit, it upsets devices driving it, and they can get burned
> too. By that time, you should be smelling something...

Hi Paul -

Thanks for your reply. The power supply in the machine is brand new and
just purchased on Monday. I did plug in speakers to see if I could hear any
beeps without having the hard drive plugged in but didn't hear anything.
I'll try it without the video card and ram to see if there are any beeps.

Wyman
From: Wyman on
Hi again Paul -

I did a beep test with the ram, video card, and hard drives removed and
there were no beeps. And yes the speakers were on.

So do you think it's a motherboard issue given that the power supply is
brand new? The motherboard is a MS-6741 version 1.
Here's a link to it:
http://us.msi.com/index.php?func=proddesc&maincat_no=1&prod_no=601#

Is there another motherboard similar to this one where they could get at
Best Buy or other electronics store? I've found a couple of online stores
that have this model but I'm concerned about their return policies.

Thanks again for your help.

Wyman

From: Paul on
Wyman wrote:
> Hi again Paul -
>
> I did a beep test with the ram, video card, and hard drives removed and
> there were no beeps. And yes the speakers were on.
>
> So do you think it's a motherboard issue given that the power supply is
> brand new? The motherboard is a MS-6741 version 1.
> Here's a link to it:
> http://us.msi.com/index.php?func=proddesc&maincat_no=1&prod_no=601#
>
> Is there another motherboard similar to this one where they could get at
> Best Buy or other electronics store? I've found a couple of online stores
> that have this model but I'm concerned about their return policies.
>
> Thanks again for your help.
>
> Wyman

In the picture, I think I see an onboard piezo speaker, right below the
two yellow (IDE?) connectors. Your beeps might be expected to come from
there.

http://us.msi.com/uploads/prod_890a5cd5c9a3d19d42ade9c9c015a97a.jpg

http://www.msi.com/index.php?func=proddesc&prod_no=601&maincat_no=1&cat2_no=171&cat3_no=7

K8M800 / VT8237 / S754

The manual shows connector JFP1 has pins for "SPKR" on pins numbered
2 and 8. That is a span of four pins on 0.1" centers. The computer
case itself, may have a speaker mounted inside it, with that four pin
connector leading to it. The four pin connector might use the
two outside pins, for the speaker wires. If you don't have that
black piezo disc, then connect up the computer case speaker.
The computer case speaker, is a different speaker than the external
amplified stereo speakers you might be using.

http://download2.msi.com/files/downloads/mnu_exe/E6741v1.1.zip

I don't know if the motherboard can drive both of those at the same
time, or whether the motherboard has that piezo element (black in
color, about the size of a quarter) as an option. Maybe if the board
is sold as an OEM motherboard, as part of a pre-built computer,
they install the piezo speaker on it.

In any case, for a beep test, you either need a working piezo thing,
or a working computer case speaker for the PC Beep. I presume
you used to hear a single "beep" at system startup, so should
have some idea if the machine used to beep while it was still functional.
With the RAM missing, you should get a different, repeating beep
pattern.

The purpose of the "beep" test, is to prove a minimal set of the
motherboard is functional. With no RAM installed, disks disconnected,
you can check for the beeps. If you hear them, your processor
managed to read BIOS code, do a memory test, and find the memory
missing. To generate the beep, the hardware path to the chipset
has to work. Same goes for reading the BIOS firmware - that won't work
unless a significant amount of the board is working.

A PCI Port 80 POST card, can also be used as a "proof of life" test,
but those cost money, whereas the beep test only needs
some kind of speaker you might already have.

I still think you should do a visual check for leaking caps. If
all the tops are shiny and flat, with no broken seams, then all
is fine in that regard.

Paul