From: Wyman on
There aren't any beeps and I haven't heard any at all. I'm not sure how to
get them to emit from the black piezo thingy you speak of.

I've examined the board carefully and I do not see any leakage that you
speak of. Actually the board looks very good for an older computer.

Unless I'm blind, I don't see any extra wires to connect the case speakers.
Where would they be located?

Wyman

From: Paul on
Wyman wrote:
> There aren't any beeps and I haven't heard any at all. I'm not sure how to
> get them to emit from the black piezo thingy you speak of.
>
> I've examined the board carefully and I do not see any leakage that you
> speak of. Actually the board looks very good for an older computer.
>
> Unless I'm blind, I don't see any extra wires to connect the case speakers.
> Where would they be located?
>
> Wyman

OK, if I look at my computer right now, there is a thing called
the PANEL header. It is in the lower right hand corner of my motherboard.
It is an unwritten convention, to place the connector down in the lower
right hand corner. It is where you start looking, for computer case interface
pins.

PLED SPEAKER
X . X . . . X X X X

X X . . . X X . X X
IDE PWR RESET

My computer case, has five pieces of twisted pair wire. Each twisted
pair has a connector on the end. The connector has a name printed on
it, such as "PWR". The "PWR" pair of wires coming from the front of
the computer case, are coming from the front Power switch. You connect
the Power switch from the computer, to the PWR pins on the PANEL
header. When you've done so, momentarily pressing the power switch,
shorts the two PWR pins on the PANEL header together, and that
is the signal for the computer to start.

The PANEL header, is where devices on the front panel of the
computer case connect.

In cases where the computer case is missing functions, you simply
don't have anything to fit on the pins. For example, some computer
cases don't have a RESET switch. If you were building a computer,
and it had no pair of wires for RESET, then the PANEL header would
end up with no connector on it.

The bare minimum set of wires for the PANEL header, is PWR. You
can't very well use the computer, unless there is some means
to momentarily short the PWR pins together. In my example
of a PANEL header above, four of the five interfaces could
have nothing connected to it. But I do need PWR, to be able
to use the computer.

Now, in your case, I used your user manual, to identify a header
which has the SPKR (speaker) pins on it. Look at your computer case.
Do you see a pair of wires lying on the bottom of the case unused ?
Does the connector on the end of the wires say "SPKR". Is the
connector size four pins, where the outside pins (pin 1 and pin 4)
have wires ? That is what you'd connect to the header on the motherboard.

So either you have that black piezoelectric disc below the two IDE connectors,
or you do not. Check visually and see if the black disc (piezo
speaker) is present. If it isn't present, then you need to
investigate

1) Whether the computer case has an internal speaker intended for
PC Beep. The speaker itself is usually hidden, and can be held in
a separate plastic assembly in the front of the computer. Sometimes
a plastic holder has room for a small fan, and on the other side of
the assembly, the speaker is jammed into the plastic.

2) If you have a speaker, and the two wires are sitting there unused,
try connecting them to the pins labeled SPKR, as shown in your
user manual.

When I look in the E6741v1.1.pdf document, the PANEL header is
documented on PDF page 28. In your case, there are two adjacent
sets of pins, JFP2 and JFP1, that make up the traditional set
of PANEL header functions. You have PLED, PWR, HDD, RESET on
one group of pins. The second connector has the SPKR pins on
it (as well as some confusing LED driving functions).

http://download2.msi.com/files/downloads/mnu_exe/E6741v1.1.zip

Look in the lower right hand corner of your motherboard. The
text "JFP2" and "JFP1" should be printed next to the header
pins.

The diagram in the manual on PDF page 11, shows the PANEL functions
in the lower right hand corner. There, you can see how close
together JFP2 and JFP1 are. It *looks* like a 2x9 set of pins.
Other motherboards would just call that whole thing "PANEL".
If you connect the computer case speaker to the SPKR pins
on that thing, then you're ready for beep codes.

Some computer cases (the up-scale ones), don't have the
built-in case speaker any more. You can always get a small
speaker from an old transistor radio, to use as a substitute.
As long as the motherboard has the SPKR interface on
the PANEL header, you can drive one.

Paul
From: Wyman G. on

"Paul" wrote:

> [...]
> it (as well as some confusing LED driving functions).
>
> http://download2.msi.com/files/downloads/mnu_exe/E6741v1.1.zip
>
> Look in the lower right hand corner of your motherboard. The
> text "JFP2" and "JFP1" should be printed next to the header
> pins.
>
> The diagram in the manual on PDF page 11, shows the PANEL functions
> in the lower right hand corner. There, you can see how close
> together JFP2 and JFP1 are. It *looks* like a 2x9 set of pins.
> Other motherboards would just call that whole thing "PANEL".
> If you connect the computer case speaker to the SPKR pins
> on that thing, then you're ready for beep codes.
>
> Some computer cases (the up-scale ones), don't have the
> built-in case speaker any more. You can always get a small
> speaker from an old transistor radio, to use as a substitute.
> As long as the motherboard has the SPKR interface on

I did see the black piezo thing you speak of but I don't see any extra wires
to connect to the spkr pins. A lot of this is a bit over my head and out my
comfort level to try to do. I'm thinking of suggesting to replace the
motherboard and be done with it. It'll be easier to replace instead doing
all these tests. Are there any similar to this one that can be bought in any
of the local electronic stores?