From: vfclists on
I am looking for USB Flash drives with hardware write protection, you
know the type with the button that you slide to disable writing.

It is mainly for software installation and it is prevent virus
infections.
I need to update the software on it regularly, and DVDs and CDs don't
always work.

Any recommendations?
From: SC Tom on

"vfclists" <vfclists(a)googlemail.com> wrote in message
>I am looking for USB Flash drives with hardware write protection, you
> know the type with the button that you slide to disable writing.
>
> It is mainly for software installation and it is prevent virus
> infections.
> I need to update the software on it regularly, and DVDs and CDs don't
> always work.
>
> Any recommendations?

Google is your friend :-)

http://salestores.com/imatio144.html

http://www.amazon.com/Ezdrive-Pro-Flash-Drive-Usb/dp/B000RGDA5E

http://www.amazon.com/Ezdrive-Pro-Flash-Drive-Usb/dp/B000RGG22C
--
SC Tom

From: Bob Willard on
vfclists wrote:
> I am looking for USB Flash drives with hardware write protection, you
> know the type with the button that you slide to disable writing.
>
> It is mainly for software installation and it is prevent virus
> infections.
> I need to update the software on it regularly, and DVDs and CDs don't
> always work.
>
> Any recommendations?

I only trust one kind of write protection: removal.
--
Cheers, Bob
From: Pavel A. on
All full-size CF cards have write protection switch.
If you don't need extra large sizes ( > 8 GB) just use CF cards with an USB
adapter.

If you do lot of installations from CD/DVDs, have look at this enclosure:
www.i-odd.com
( I've bought one from a store in UK; seems to work, though
Windows is not quite happy with its write protection.
Their support says they've found the optimal way... )

Regards,
-- pa

From: Shenan Stanley on

Bob Willard wrote:
> I only trust one kind of write protection: removal.

Yet that fails miserably when using the USB drive to scan for viruses and
install software without chancing the USB drive itself gets infected.

Which was one of the reasons given in the original post...

--
Shenan Stanley
MS-MVP