From: Andreas Prilop on
On Thu, 18 Mar 2010, dorayme wrote:

>> Sadly, most people today cannot tell real italics and boldface
>> from slanted and bolded fonts.
>
> Do you notice the difference when reading normal sized text on
> screen?

No, I meant printed text on paper.

--
In memoriam Alan J. Flavell
http://www.alanflavell.org.uk/charset/
From: Andreas Prilop on
On Thu, 18 Mar 2010, dorayme wrote:

> http://dorayme.netweaver.com.au/boldVfauxBold.html

Windows users can try this with Microsoft Sans Serif, which has
a similar function in the Windows operating system as Geneva
has on Mac OS.
http://www.user.uni-hannover.de/nhtcapri/temp-1.html

Has anyone ever specified "Microsoft Sans Serif" as text font?

--
Solipsists of the world � unite!
From: Jukka K. Korpela on
Andreas Prilop wrote:

> On Thu, 18 Mar 2010, dorayme wrote:
>
>>> Sadly, most people today cannot tell real italics and boldface
>>> from slanted and bolded fonts.
>>
>> Do you notice the difference when reading normal sized text on
>> screen?
>
> No, I meant printed text on paper.

I'm not sure I see what you are discussing here. Surely one can see the
difference between "real italics" and "slanted fonts" in many cases on
screen, without any deep understanding of font issues. Just look at how the
letter "a" looks like: is it a slanted version of the upright glyph, or is
it something completely different, of different basic design?

The issue is complicated by the fact that there are really three kinds of
italics/slanted, and they all correspond to font-style: italic and
font-style: oblique (which are supposed to be different, but I've never seen
a difference in real life):
a) genuine italic font
b) an italic/oblique font that mostly looks just like slanted but is still
designed by a typographer
c) upright font algorithmically slanted.
If you use font-style: italic or font-style: oblique, you get e.g. a) for
Calibri, b) for Arial, and c) for Arial Unicode MS. You don't need to be an
expert on anything to see the difference.

--
Yucca, http://www.cs.tut.fi/~jkorpela/

From: Andreas Prilop on
On Thu, 18 Mar 2010, Jukka K. Korpela wrote:

> Just look at how the letter "a" looks like: is it a slanted version
> of the upright glyph, or is it something completely different,
> of different basic design?

Yes, it is trivial for serif face like Times (New Roman) and Garamond.
But this thread was on sans-serif. /* I wonder what the Subject
has to do with it ;-) */

> If you use font-style: italic or font-style: oblique, you get e.g.
> a) for Calibri, b) for Arial, and c) for Arial Unicode MS.
> You don't need to be an expert on anything to see the difference.

Arial vs. Arial Unicode MS is really a good example! Arial consists
of four fonts, whereas Arial Unicode MS is only one font.
But I'm afraid most people cannot tell an oblique "a" in Arial
from a slanted "a" in Arial Unicode MS.

So many cannot even tell an apostrophe from an acute accent:
http://www.tut.fi/library/dlib/faq.htm
scnr

--
From the New World: