From: Rebecca Wynn on
I have a first image "left.jpg" which should appear on the left side of a web page and be repeated vertically
as often as possible. Similarly on the right side I have another picture "right.jpg" which should be repeated
as well vertically. So altogether both pictures series-chains should "frame" the content in the middle from top to bottom.

Two problems appear (for me):

1.) because not only ONE image exists I cannot use (CSS) background-image tricks.

2.) The right picture should be shifted as right as possible. How can I achieve this?

Rebecca

From: Thomas 'PointedEars' Lahn on
Why is it that you newbies crosspost OPs to ciwa.html and ciwa.stylesheets
with F'up2 ciwa.*html* where *stylesheets* are concerned? Please stop
doing that! If a crosspost is necessary later, a more experienced person
will do it.

Rebecca Wynn wrote:

> I have a first image "left.jpg" which should appear on the left side of a
> web page and be repeated vertically as often as possible. Similarly on
> the right side I have another picture "right.jpg" which should be
> repeated as well vertically. So altogether both pictures series-chains
> should "frame" the content in the middle from top to bottom.
>
> Two problems appear (for me):
>
> 1.) because not only ONE image exists I cannot use (CSS) background-image
> tricks.

Use two nested block-level elements with different background-image
property values. Use paddings as necessary.

> 2.) The right picture should be shifted as right as possible. How can I
> achieve this?

If you implement the aforementioned approach,

background-position: right;

RTFM: <http://www.w3.org/TR/css3-background/#the-background-position>
(supported since CSS 1)

PointedEars
From: Mason C on
On Mon, 15 Mar 2010 12:52:14 -0400, Bill Braun <me(a)privacy.net> wrote:

>Thomas 'PointedEars' Lahn wrote:
>> Why is it that you newbies crosspost OPs to ciwa.html and ciwa.stylesheets
>> with F'up2 ciwa.*html* where *stylesheets* are concerned? Please stop
>> doing that! If a crosspost is necessary later, a more experienced person
>> will do it.
>

>Your answer is found in your question. They are new, most
>likely doing the best they can based on what they know.
>
>Bill B

Or they may be old with much experience instructing them as to the
most efficient, effective way to post.

Inexperienced kids love to whine about it and waste everyone's time.

MasonC
From: Thomas 'PointedEars' Lahn on
Johannes Koch wrote:

> Thomas 'PointedEars' Lahn schrieb:
>> Why is it that you newbies crosspost OPs to ciwa.html and
>> ciwa.stylesheets
>> with F'up2 ciwa.*html* where *stylesheets* are concerned? Please stop
>> doing that! If a crosspost is necessary later, a more experienced person
>> will do it.
>
> In many posts showing this, you can find the header

> Maybe there's some sort of automation in Arcor's interface to usenet.

Arcor is Vodafone now, but you may be right. However, I am still an Arcor
newsserver user (via KNode), and if there is a way to crosspost on their
*Web* interface in the first place I sure could not find it. So there must
be something wrong either with the newsreader application they might be
offering (but I have never heard of such) or with the posters. Probably the
latter, given the cluelessness.

PointedEars
From: Thomas 'PointedEars' Lahn on
dorayme wrote:

> Scott Bryce <sbryce(a)scottbryce.com> wrote:
>> dorayme wrote:
>> > <http://dorayme.netweaver.com.au/two_vert_bgBorders.html>
>> [...]
>
> [...]
> (There are two problems on that page, the one in italics and the
> one that occupied the sultan's mind.)

Yes, if scrolling is necessary the right background image is 1. moving
upwards (or was this intentional?) and 2. not going to be repeated beyond
the height of the viewport. You should therefore define

#wrapper {
position: absolute;
overflow: auto;
background-position: right top;
}

The `height: 100%' declarations for HTML and BODY element appear to be
unnecessary then. Tested in Iceweasel 3.5.8 (Gecko 1.9.1.8).

Thank you for the puzzles.

X-Post & F'up2 ciwa.stylesheets

PointedEars