From: dorayme on
In article <1316119.vCJZsxu672(a)PointedEars.de>,
Thomas 'PointedEars' Lahn <PointedEars(a)web.de> wrote:

> dorayme wrote:
>
> > Scott Bryce <sbryce(a)scottbryce.com> wrote:
> >> [...]
> >
> > [...]
> > (There are two problems on that page, the one in italics and the
> > one that occupied the sultan's mind.)
>
> Yes, if scrolling is necessary the right background image is 1. moving
> upwards (or was this intentional?)

Both backgrounds move up in my Safari. (But good of you to draw
attention to this. It might be better in the spirit of OP's
request, to have it fixed. This can be done in the case of the
left bg image by adding 'fixed' to the shorthand background. A
point of further discussion might be how to get the right to
ditto. But you solve in your suggestion below.)

> and 2. not going to be repeated beyond
> the height of the viewport. You should therefore define
>
> #wrapper {
> position: absolute;
> overflow: auto;
> background-position: right top;
> }

Well done Thomas, this is good and I now publish in your honour:

<http://dorayme.netweaver.com.au/two_vert_bgBorders_ears.html>

> The `height: 100%' declarations for HTML and BODY element appear to be
> unnecessary then. Tested in Iceweasel 3.5.8 (Gecko 1.9.1.8).

Quite so on my tests too.

--
dorayme
From: Thomas 'PointedEars' Lahn on
dorayme wrote:

> Thomas 'PointedEars' Lahn wrote:
>> dorayme wrote:
>> > [...]
>> > (There are two problems on that page, the one in italics and the
>> > one that occupied the sultan's mind.)
>> Yes, if scrolling is necessary the right background image is 1. moving
>> upwards (or was this intentional?)
>
> Both backgrounds move up in my Safari. (But good of you to draw
> attention to this. It might be better in the spirit of OP's
> request, to have it fixed. This can be done in the case of the
> left bg image by adding 'fixed' to the shorthand background. A
> point of further discussion might be how to get the right to
> ditto. But you solve in your suggestion below.)

I meant instead that the right background image is currently vertically
centered, which may or may not be intentional.

>> and 2. not going to be repeated beyond the height of the viewport.
>> You should therefore define
>>
>> #wrapper {
>> position: absolute;
>> overflow: auto;
>> background-position: right top;
>> }
>
> Well done Thomas, this is good and I now publish in your honour:
>
> <http://dorayme.netweaver.com.au/two_vert_bgBorders_ears.html>

Thank you. I am not satisfied with the vertical scrollbar covering the
right image, though. Therefore, it would appear to be best to use three
nested elements, two with background image and the innermost to provide the
scrolling. There is an extra inner DIV, so we could reuse that:

body {
margin: 0;
background: url(left.jpg) repeat-y left top;
}

#wrapper {
position: absolute;
margin: 0 0 0 60px;
height: 100%;
background: url(right.jpg) repeat-y right top;
padding: 0 60px 0 0;
}

#wrapper > div {
height: 100%;
overflow: auto;
padding: 0 10px 0 0
}

PointedEars

P.S.: Call me "PE" if you must, but not "ears". TIA.
From: dorayme on
In article <2050046.Kz687JKscX(a)PointedEars.de>,
Thomas 'PointedEars' Lahn <PointedEars(a)web.de> wrote:

> dorayme wrote:
>
> > Thomas 'PointedEars' Lahn wrote:
> >> Yes, if scrolling is necessary the right background image is 1. moving
> >> upwards (or was this intentional?)
> >
> > Both backgrounds move up in my Safari. (But good of you to draw
> > attention to this. It might be better in the spirit of OP's
> > request, to have it fixed. This can be done in the case of the
> > left bg image by adding 'fixed' to the shorthand background. A
> > point of further discussion might be how to get the right to
> > ditto. But you solve in your suggestion below.)
>
> I meant instead that the right background image is currently vertically
> centered, which may or may not be intentional.

Can't see this in any of my Mac browsers?

> >> and 2. not going to be repeated beyond the height of the viewport.
> >> You should therefore define
> >>
> >> #wrapper {
> >> position: absolute;
> >> overflow: auto;
> >> background-position: right top;
> >> }
> >
> > Well done Thomas, this is good and I now publish in your honour:
> >
> > <http://dorayme.netweaver.com.au/two_vert_bgBorders_ears.html>
>
> Thank you. I am not satisfied with the vertical scrollbar covering the
> right image, though. Therefore, it would appear to be best to use three
> nested elements, two with background image and the innermost to provide the
> scrolling. There is an extra inner DIV, so we could reuse that:
>
> body {
> margin: 0;
> background: url(left.jpg) repeat-y left top;
> }
>
> #wrapper {
> position: absolute;
> margin: 0 0 0 60px;
> height: 100%;
> background: url(right.jpg) repeat-y right top;
> padding: 0 60px 0 0;
> }
>
> #wrapper > div {
> height: 100%;
> overflow: auto;
> padding: 0 10px 0 0
> }

Another possibility, yes. It is as if we are refining a possible
page in a possible world. My old Mac IE5 does mean things to
this. It it is rooted in *this world as it was in 1999* <g>

> PointedEars
>
> P.S.: Call me "PE" if you must, but not "ears". TIA.

I called you Thomas, read my post. The ears was part of a file
name, not your name. "bore" is not a word in "boring", "b" "o"
"r" and "e" are in "boring" as is the order of the letters. But
the word "bore" is not in it. Please see these fine logical
distinctions. Thank you in advance.

--
dorayme
From: Thomas 'PointedEars' Lahn on
dorayme wrote:

> Thomas 'PointedEars' Lahn wrote:
>> dorayme wrote:
>> >
>> > Both backgrounds move up in my Safari. (But good of you to draw
>> > attention to this. It might be better in the spirit of OP's
>> > request, to have it fixed. This can be done in the case of the
>> > left bg image by adding 'fixed' to the shorthand background. A
>> > point of further discussion might be how to get the right to
>> > ditto. But you solve in your suggestion below.)
>>
>> I meant instead that the right background image is currently vertically
>> centered, which may or may not be intentional.
>
> Can't see this in any of my Mac browsers?

Make the window less high, so that there are vertical scrollbars. You
should see the more greyish part of the right background image at the
vertical center of the viewport (as opposed to at the bottom of it), the
right margin becoming fully grey if the viewport height is reduced to
about 150 pixels, or your Mac browsers (which ones?) have a bug.

>> > Well done Thomas, this is good and I now publish in your honour:
>> >
>> > <http://dorayme.netweaver.com.au/two_vert_bgBorders_ears.html>
>>
>> [...] I am not satisfied with the vertical scrollbar covering the
>> right image, though. Therefore, it would appear to be best to use three
>> nested elements, two with background image and the innermost to provide
>> the scrolling. There is an extra inner DIV, so we could reuse that:
>>
>> [CSS code]
>
> Another possibility, yes. It is as if we are refining a possible
> page in a possible world. My old Mac IE5 does mean things to
> this. It it is rooted in *this world as it was in 1999* <g>

I beg your pardon?

>> P.S.: Call me "PE" if you must, but not "ears". TIA.
>
> [...] The ears was part of a file name [...]

A resource name ending in "_ears.html", to which I object(ed). Make it
"*_PointedEars.html" or remove the name or file, please. Anything else is
_not_ "publishing in my honor" as you said, quite the opposite. It is as
if I named a resource "_me.html" and said I published it "in your honor";
you would probably object to that, too.

That said, proper attribution is usually paid with text in the resource
content rather than in the resource name as the resource name depends on
the circumstances of viewing. For example, using META elements or writing
the name of the contributor in the BODY. Compare:
<http://pointedears.de/hoverMe/> (uses META elements)

PointedEars
From: dorayme on
In article <1417031.9FEqZaRXLX(a)PointedEars.de>,
Thomas 'PointedEars' Lahn <PointedEars(a)web.de> wrote:

> PointedEars

Publish your own URLs if you are not happy with the praise I
publicly heaped on your miserable skin on usenet.

--
dorayme