From: AAaron123 on

"Scott M." <s-mar(a)nospam.nospam> wrote in message

> "AAaron123" <aaaron123(a)roadrunner.com> wrote in message
>> Seems a shame to upload so many unchanged files.
>>
>> Thanks for your input
>>
>> "Scott M." <s-mar(a)nospam.nospam> wrote in message
>>> Simply make the changes you need on your local copy of the site and
>>> re-publish again with VS 2008 just like you did the first time.
>>>
>>> -Scott
>>>

>>> "AAaron123" <aaaron123(a)roadrunner.com> wrote in message

> There are other ways to selectively upload the files you want (any FTP
> program will do), but depending on the changes you've made and whether
> you've made a web site or web project, you'll also need to upload more
> than just the .aspx files. I belive that VS will let you pick and choose
> options like "only files that have been changed" or "all files", etc. You
> shouldn't have to upload the whole site again.
>
> -Scott

I'm doing a web site not a web project.

I did find vs2008/Edit/Copy Website (I think that is the menu item text) but
I need to read about it yet to understand the features.

The way I published I think it precompiled all the behind-code (.vb, .cs)
because I don't see the files on the server. I don't know how I can update
those precompiled files on the server because I don't believe I have them
precompiled locally.

Thanks,

From: Scott M. on

> "Scott M." <s-mar(a)nospam.nospam> wrote in message
>>
>> "AAaron123" <aaaron123(a)roadrunner.com> wrote in message
>>> Seems a shame to upload so many unchanged files.
>>>
>>> Thanks for your input
>>>
>>> "Scott M." <s-mar(a)nospam.nospam> wrote in message

>> There are other ways to selectively upload the files you want (any FTP
>> program will do), but depending on the changes you've made and whether
>> you've made a web site or web project, you'll also need to upload more
>> than just the .aspx files. I belive that VS will let you pick and choose
>> options like "only files that have been changed" or "all files", etc.
>> You shouldn't have to upload the whole site again.
>>
>> -Scott
>>

> I'm doing a web site not a web project.
>
> I did find vs2008/Edit/Copy Website (I think that is the menu item text)
> but I need to read about it yet to understand the features.
>
> The way I published I think it precompiled all the behind-code (.vb, .cs)
> because I don't see the files on the server. I don't know how I can update
> those precompiled files on the server because I don't believe I have them
> precompiled locally.
>
> Thanks,

If you pull down the "Build" menu and then choose the "Publish" option,
you'll see various choices for how pre-compilation can be done.

-Scott

From: AAaron123 on

> "AAaron123" <aaaron123(a)roadrunner.com> wrote in message
>>
>> "Scott M." <s-mar(a)nospam.nospam> wrote in message
>>>
>>> "AAaron123" <aaaron123(a)roadrunner.com> wrote in message

>>> There are other ways to selectively upload the files you want (any FTP
>>> program will do), but depending on the changes you've made and whether
>>> you've made a web site or web project, you'll also need to upload more
>>> than just the .aspx files. I belive that VS will let you pick and
>>> choose options like "only files that have been changed" or "all files",
>>> etc. You shouldn't have to upload the whole site again.
>>>
>>> -Scott
>>>

>> I'm doing a web site not a web project.
>>
>> I did find vs2008/Edit/Copy Website (I think that is the menu item text)
>> but I need to read about it yet to understand the features.
>>
>> The way I published I think it precompiled all the behind-code (.vb, .cs)
>> because I don't see the files on the server. I don't know how I can
>> update those precompiled files on the server because I don't believe I
>> have them precompiled locally.
>>
>> Thanks,
>
> If you pull down the "Build" menu and then choose the "Publish" option,
> you'll see various choices for how pre-compilation can be done.
>
> -Scott

I know. I only selected the option that enables the site to be updated.
Maybe I need to publish to a local folder and move changed files from there.

Thanks

From: Scott M. on

> "Scott M." <s-mar(a)nospam.nospam> wrote in message
>>
>> "AAaron123" <aaaron123(a)roadrunner.com> wrote in message
>>>
>>> "Scott M." <s-mar(a)nospam.nospam> wrote in message

>>> I'm doing a web site not a web project.
>>>
>>> I did find vs2008/Edit/Copy Website (I think that is the menu item text)
>>> but I need to read about it yet to understand the features.
>>>
>>> The way I published I think it precompiled all the behind-code (.vb,
>>> .cs) because I don't see the files on the server. I don't know how I can
>>> update those precompiled files on the server because I don't believe I
>>> have them precompiled locally.
>>>
>>> Thanks,
>>
>> If you pull down the "Build" menu and then choose the "Publish" option,
>> you'll see various choices for how pre-compilation can be done.
>>
>> -Scott
>>
> I know. I only selected the option that enables the site to be updated.
> Maybe I need to publish to a local folder and move changed files from
> there.
>
> Thanks

That option doesn't mean that the site can be updated (indeed, the site can
be updated no matter what you select). That choice offers you the ability
to create the web pages as "updateable" on the sever, meaning that you could
open one on the web server directly, edit it and just save the file in
place. If you had been coding using the inline coding model, this would
mean that your VB or C# code would be deployed along with your client code
(not a good idea). If you had developed the pages using the code-behind
model, then the code either will be pre-compiled into one or more .dll's or
it won't be pre-compiled at all and instead will be dynamically compiled at
the server.

Now, having said that. These items aren't that big of a deal as far as
simply updating the site with changes you've made locally. The Solution
Explorer window has a Copy Web Site button to let you select just what you
want to publish.

-Scott

From: AAaron123 on

> "AAaron123" <aaaron123(a)roadrunner.com> wrote in message
>>
>> "Scott M." <s-mar(a)nospam.nospam> wrote in message
>>>
>>> "AAaron123" <aaaron123(a)roadrunner.com> wrote in message

>>> If you pull down the "Build" menu and then choose the "Publish" option,
>>> you'll see various choices for how pre-compilation can be done.
>>>
>>> -Scott
>>>
>> I know. I only selected the option that enables the site to be updated.
>> Maybe I need to publish to a local folder and move changed files from
>> there.
>>
>> Thanks
>
> That option doesn't mean that the site can be updated (indeed, the site
> can be updated no matter what you select). That choice offers you the
> ability to create the web pages as "updateable" on the sever, meaning that
> you could open one on the web server directly, edit it and just save the
> file in place. If you had been coding using the inline coding model, this
> would mean that your VB or C# code would be deployed along with your
> client code (not a good idea). If you had developed the pages using the
> code-behind model, then the code either will be pre-compiled into one or
> more .dll's or it won't be pre-compiled at all and instead will be
> dynamically compiled at the server.
>
> Now, having said that. These items aren't that big of a deal as far as
> simply updating the site with changes you've made locally. The Solution
> Explorer window has a Copy Web Site button to let you select just what you
> want to publish.
>
> -Scott
Thanks, the Copy Web Site button works well.

I haven't yet figured out how to upload the precompiled code-behind files.
I've been uploading the revised source files until I learn how to upload the
dll's

Thanks again