From: AAaron123 on
I used vs2008/build/publish to copy my files from my computer to my web
site.

Now I want to update a file or two.

Should I use a general ftp client like FreeFtp or is there a better way?

I would expect that vs2008 might have the capability to synchronize the
remote site automatically but I did not find it.

My first look at my site I didn't see any .vb files. If you expect them not
to be there I'd like to know why not. Could be I need to look better.

Thanks in advance

From: Scott M. on
Simply make the changes you need on your local copy of the site and
re-publish again with VS 2008 just like you did the first time.

-Scott

From: Mark Rae [MVP] on
"AAaron123" <aaaron123(a)roadrunner.com> wrote in message

> I used vs2008/build/publish to copy my files from my computer to my web
> site.

Do yourself a *HUGE* favour and get Web Deployment Projects:
http://www.google.co.uk/search?rlz=1C1CHMA_en-GBGB328GB328&aq=0&oq=Web+Deployment+Project+2008&sourceid=chrome&ie=UTF-8&q=web+deployment+project+2008+sp1

> Now I want to update a file or two.
>
> Should I use a general ftp client like FreeFtp or is there a better way?

That's what I do.

> I would expect that vs2008 might have the capability to synchronize the
> remote site automatically

It doesn't.

> My first look at my site I didn't see any .vb files. If you expect them
> not to be there I'd like to know why not.

That will depend on the compilation options you used to build the site:
http://www.google.co.uk/search?hl=en&rlz=1C1CHMA_en-GBGB328GB328&q=%22ASP.NET%22+compilation+options&btnG=Search&meta=&aq=f&oq=

Again, this is a lot easier with WDP...

--
Mark Rae
ASP.NET MVP

From: AAaron123 on
Seems a shame to upload so many unchanged files.

Thanks for your input

From: Scott M. on

> Seems a shame to upload so many unchanged files.
>
> Thanks for your input
>
> "Scott M." <s-mar(a)nospam.nospam> wrote in message
>> Simply make the changes you need on your local copy of the site and
>> re-publish again with VS 2008 just like you did the first time.
>>
>> -Scott
>>

>> "AAaron123" <aaaron123(a)roadrunner.com> wrote in message
>>>I used vs2008/build/publish to copy my files from my computer to my web
>>>site.
>>>
>>> Now I want to update a file or two.
>>>
>>> Should I use a general ftp client like FreeFtp or is there a better way?
>>>
>>> I would expect that vs2008 might have the capability to synchronize the
>>> remote site automatically but I did not find it.
>>>
>>> My first look at my site I didn't see any .vb files. If you expect them
>>> not to be there I'd like to know why not. Could be I need to look
>>> better.
>>>
>>> Thanks in advance

There are other ways to selectively upload the files you want (any FTP
program will do), but depending on the changes you've made and whether
you've made a web site or web project, you'll also need to upload more than
just the .aspx files. I belive that VS will let you pick and choose options
like "only files that have been changed" or "all files", etc. You shouldn't
have to upload the whole site again.

-Scott