From: Ben on
I configured news group in outlook 2003 following the Help. I didn't finish
the server configuration and see all news subscribed. However after I closed
the configuration, I couldn't see the Go => News menu. What's worse is that
the Customize Command panel, the "News" command is available in the "Go"
Categories anymore.

Appreciate if anyone can help!
From: Diane Poremsky on

Ben wrote:
> I configured news group in outlook 2003 following the Help. I didn't
> finish
> the server configuration and see all news subscribed. However after I
> closed
> the configuration, I couldn't see the Go => News menu. What's worse is
> that
> the Customize Command panel, the "News" command is available in the
> "Go"
> Categories anymore.
>
> Appreciate if anyone can help!

To get the News command back, go back to the Programs tab in Control
Panel | Internet Options and change the default newsreader to Outlook
Express. If OE prompts you to make it your default newsreader the next
time you launch it, click the "Don't ask me again" box and then click
the No button.

You may need to reset the menu or toolbar using Tools, customize.

Diane Poremsky [MVP - Outlook]
'Outlook Tips' (http://www.outlook-tips.net/) | 'Outlook & Exchange
Solutions Center' (http://www.slipstick.com/)

'Outlook Tips by email'
(mailto:dailytips-subscribe-request(a)lists.outlooktips.net)
'EMO - a weekly newsletter about Outlook and Exchange'
(mailto:EMO-NEWSLETTER-SUBSCRIBE-REQUEST(a)PEACH.EASE.LSOFT.COM)

View this thread: http://www.outlookforums.com/showthread.php?t=46051

http://www.outlookforums.com

From: VanguardLH on
Ben wrote:

> I configured news group in outlook 2003 following the Help.

No, you didn't. No version of Outlook supports NNTP (Network News
Transfer Protocol). You cannot use Outlook as a newsreader. You must
use a different program for newsgroups (e.g., Outlook EXPRESS, Forte
Agent, Thunderbird, Xnews, 40tude Dialog, Xananews, MesNews, etc.), or
you could buy an add-on to Outlook (e.g., Newshound or MAPILab's NNTP
for Outlook) that handles NNTP and tries to make it look embedded in
Outlook (but they all do a poor job at it because Outlook's UI wasn't
designed for Usenet access).

> I didn't finish the server configuration and see all news subscribed.

You did or did not finish the configuration? If you did not finish,
why would you expect that it be usable (in whatever newsreader you are
actually using)? If you finished the configuration and then got to see
the list of newsgroups then you were NOT in Outlook but in some OTHER
program which does have NNTP support.

> However after I closed the configuration, I couldn't see the Go =>
> News menu.

Which merely runs the OTHER program which is the newsreader. "Go ->
News" means an external program gets loaded because Outlook doesn't do
newsgroups. So it is a waste of effort and time to load Outlook to
then use its menu to start the other program when you could have simply
started the other program in the first place.

> What's worse is that the Customize Command panel, the "News" command
> is available in the "Go" Categories anymore.

You never mentioned WHICH version of Windows that you use. The News
subcommand for menu customization is absent if you are using Windows 7.
That's because there is no default install-time newsreader available
in Windows 7 (because no e-mail client or newsreader comes with it).

http://www.outlook-tips.net/howto/missing_news.htm
http://www.slipstick.com/outlook/nntp.asp

Since you end up starting the separate newsreader program to do
newsgroups, just start that program directly. Don't waste your time
program.