From: Annix on
Bert Byfield <bbyfield(a)nospam.not> wrote in

> I have the same problem with a Lexmark printer an no network. The
> drivers work fine. It's the default computer. I can print from other
> programs. But on "Print Layout" it refuses to print because there is
> "No Default Printer." >

Bert: This worked for me. After trying everything I took my life into my
hands and had a look around the Windows Registry.

Here's what I did:

I opened the Windows Registry (Start/Run and typed "regedit" <without
quotes>) and SAVED A COPY of the whole thing (Export option). In the registry
I went to "My Computer\HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Software\Jasc" (I typed that without
quotes into the "Find" box)

Once there I typed "Printer" into the find box -again without quotes.

I found three entries for PrinterName: Two of them had "(zero length binary
data)" as the entry in the "Data" column in the right-hand pane. The other
contained the string for the last computer I had on the now defunct Print
Server --a Samsung.

The keys were:

<"HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Software\Jasc\Paint Shop Pro 8\General\Miscellaneous">

<"HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Software\Jasc\Paint Shop Pro 8\JascCmdPrint\Print
\PrintingOptions">

<"HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Software\Jasc\Paint Shop Pro 8\JascCmdPrint\QuickPrint
\PrintingOptions">

Any other references to printer I ignored.

Next, one at a time, in the right-hand pane, I right-clicked on PrinterName,
and deleted the entry, then I right-clicked on the last item in the "Type"
column and chose "New\string value", which created a new entry. This I named
"PrinterName" and right-clicked it and chose "Modify", and entered the name
of my printer "Brother HL-2070N" (Again without quotes). That name then
showed up in the "Data" column.

I did this for all three entries, and closed the registry editor.
I really hoped it would work, but didn't expect it to be that easy.
To be on the safe side, I restarted Windows before opening PSP8.

Nevertheless, it did in fact work!

I opened PSP8, made two quick files with line cartoons on them and clicked
the Print Layout Icon... Low and Behold, it opened the applet! =)

I juggled the two pics into it and hit print --worked like a charm!

I'm so happy!

I hope this will serve as a help for others for whom the applet has got stuck
on a printer that no longer exists.

I'd advise anyone who is removing a printer to check in the Print Layout
applet and change it to the new printer before they remove the old (if they
can). That MAY make a difference, I don't know.

***If you don't know or can't find what to put there. Do a search for
PrinterName in One of Corel's versions [9 or X](an installed demo will work
for that) or an older version of PSP, and copy the Data String from there.***

Good luck and let me know if this works for you, Bert.

And thanks to all who replied with suggestions.