From: "nobody >" on
On 6/27/2010 6:45 PM, Bill Anderson wrote:

> Your wife's company has a liberal policy compared to mine. But this is
> my personal home computer and playing with it is a great source of
> amusement to me. I enjoyed my dalliance with a large RAID set but it was
> a trip to the moon on gossamer wings, just one of those things.

I've messed with RAID on my home system a couple of times. I gave it up
because

1) I didn't see any real performance gains for my use.

2) (As you've seen) RAID can be a fragile thing on a
consumer/enthusiast mobo that's intended primarily as a non-RAID for
most users.

I've set up a couple of dedicated servers (both with OSen and plain old
NAT boxes); but these were intended to be RAIDED as sold.

From: KCB on

"Bill Anderson" <billanderson601(a)yahoo.com> wrote in message
> Well, it was a fun experiment while it lasted (all of two weeks).
>
> I have four physical drives in my system. Three of them are 1.5TB drives
> and about two weeks ago I tied them together into a single 4.5TB RAID 0
> (striped) set which I partitioned for storage of various types of data.
> The fourth physical drive is my boot drive where I put my operating
> systems (Win7 32 bit and Win7 64 bit). It was not part of the RAID set.
>
> Then last night I merely updated the video drivers in the Win7 64 bit
> setup and when the system rebooted, well, it wouldn't reboot. I'd get the
> Windows bootloader and I'd choose an OS and the little colored fireflies
> would begin to appear but then the system would freeze.
>
> After a bit of sleuthing I discovered that one of the three drives in the
> 4.5TB RAID set was now "non-RAID." Basically I was screwed. Fortunately I
> had nearly everything backed up -- I lost a couple of weeks of emails and
> some other minor things, but nothing important I can't recover with a
> little work.
>
> I wish I knew what caused the RAID set to come apart. Not only had the
> one drive (not the other two) become non-RAID, but BIOS had changed a bit
> too. BIOS no longer was set so that I could boot by pressing the
> spacebar -- I had to turn that back on -- and the system (ASUS P5Q Pro
> Turbo) was now trying to start with Express Gate -- I had to turn that
> off -- and a few other things had changed too: most interestingly, the
> J-MICRON eSATA/PATA controller had been turned back on. I'd learned it
> had to be turned off in order for me to get to the RAID setup.
>
> I think the problem was not the drive that had become non-RAID. I think
> the hiccup was in BIOS.
>
> But wherever the hiccup was, I learned my lesson. No more putting all my
> eggs in one 4.5TB striped basket.
>
> --
> Bill Anderson
>
> I am the Mighty Favog

Does your problem have anything to do with the MBR partition table
limitation? I'm not sure how/if it relates to RAID.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/GUID_Partition_Table

http://www.partition-tool.com/resource/GPT-disk-partition-manager/convert-gpt-disk-to-mbr-disk.htm

http://social.answers.microsoft.com/Forums/en-US/w7performance/thread/0947610f-0dc1-4ef1-803c-3f8110356486/

From: Bill Anderson on
On 6/28/2010 12:45 AM, KCB wrote:

> "Bill Anderson" <billanderson601(a)yahoo.com> wrote in message
>> Well, it was a fun experiment while it lasted (all of two weeks).
>>
>> I have four physical drives in my system. Three of them are 1.5TB
>> drives and about two weeks ago I tied them together into a single
>> 4.5TB RAID 0 (striped) set which I partitioned for storage of various
>> types of data. The fourth physical drive is my boot drive where I put
>> my operating systems (Win7 32 bit and Win7 64 bit). It was not part of
>> the RAID set.
>>
>> Then last night I merely updated the video drivers in the Win7 64 bit
>> setup and when the system rebooted, well, it wouldn't reboot. I'd get
>> the Windows bootloader and I'd choose an OS and the little colored
>> fireflies would begin to appear but then the system would freeze.
>>
>> After a bit of sleuthing I discovered that one of the three drives in
>> the 4.5TB RAID set was now "non-RAID." Basically I was screwed.
>> Fortunately I had nearly everything backed up -- I lost a couple of
>> weeks of emails and some other minor things, but nothing important I
>> can't recover with a little work.
>>
>> I wish I knew what caused the RAID set to come apart. Not only had the
>> one drive (not the other two) become non-RAID, but BIOS had changed a
>> bit too. BIOS no longer was set so that I could boot by pressing the
>> spacebar -- I had to turn that back on -- and the system (ASUS P5Q Pro
>> Turbo) was now trying to start with Express Gate -- I had to turn that
>> off -- and a few other things had changed too: most interestingly, the
>> J-MICRON eSATA/PATA controller had been turned back on. I'd learned it
>> had to be turned off in order for me to get to the RAID setup.
>>
>> I think the problem was not the drive that had become non-RAID. I
>> think the hiccup was in BIOS.
>>
>> But wherever the hiccup was, I learned my lesson. No more putting all
>> my eggs in one 4.5TB striped basket.
>>
>> --
>> Bill Anderson
>>
>> I am the Mighty Favog
>
> Does your problem have anything to do with the MBR partition table
> limitation? I'm not sure how/if it relates to RAID.

I had to use GUID when I created the 4.5TB RAID set. The fourth disk --
the one from which I was booting -- remained MBR. I think.

--
Bill Anderson

I am the Mighty Favog