From: Christopher Muto on
Ken Tukyfriedturkey wrote:
> "Christopher Muto" <muto(a)worldnet.att.net> wrote in message
>> Daddy wrote:

>>> "if you never receive delivery of an item then you are not subject to the
>>> return policies of the vendor, and that gurantees there will be no
>>> restocking fee or shipping fees."
>>>
>>> Incorrect again.
>>>
>>> http://www.dell.com/content/topics/global.aspx/policy/en/policy?c=us&l=en&s=gen&~section=012#ustc
>>> "Title to products passes from Dell to Customer upon shipment to
>>> Customer." (Not 'upon receipt by customer'.)
>>>
>>> "You must notify Dell within 21 days of the date of your invoice or
>>> acknowledgement if you believe any part of your purchase is missing,
>>> wrong or damaged." (Part of the OP's purchase is "wrong".)
>>>
>>> "You must contact us directly before you attempt to return Product to
>>> obtain a Return Material Authorization Number for you to include with
>>> your return."
>>>
>>> Daddy
>> the op stated that dell was contacted. the op stated he tried to return
>> the product. the op stated that it was charged to a visa card. my
>> advise, for the third time, is to call visa and dispute the charge of the
>> duplicate order and refuse delivery delivery of the duplicate order. hell,
>> i would dispute both charges and refuse both shipments simply because of
>> the bad karma with this order. of course the op can choose to do it the
>> way dell suggest, but isn't the dell way what he already experienced;
>> namely rejecting an order and then later deciding to accept the order once
>> the credit card issue was resolved, and when the op called to cancel the
>> duplicate dell acting like he is the first guy this ever happened to
>> (not!) and being unable to cancel either of the two orders? you know my
>> opinion. good luck.
>
> Yes, he contacted Dell (India) and just could not understand the chap. So he
> asked for someone else and after a wait ended up with a person he could
> understand even less so had to end the call as he was getting nowhere. He is
> now waiting for the machines to arrive. His debit card provider basically
> said tough, you have provided them with your number they can draw any amount
> they want so you must sort it out with Dell.

using debit cards, ach checks, or dell credit puts the consumer at a
real disadvantage. with a credit card you have options that the other
instruments do not give you; namely you can dispute charges. hate to
think what has happened to your friends bank account that was attached
to the debit card if he didn't have enough money in there to cover the
charge. some banks charge a $35 overdraft for every debit card charge
made with insufficient funds, regardless if it is a $1,000 computer or a
$2 starbucks.
From: Tony Harding on
On 04/22/10 12:08, Christopher Muto wrote:
> Ken Tukyfriedturkey wrote:
>> "Christopher Muto" <muto(a)worldnet.att.net> wrote in message

>>> the op stated that dell was contacted. the op stated he tried to
>>> return the product. the op stated that it was charged to a visa card.
>>> my advise, for the third time, is to call visa and dispute the charge
>>> of the duplicate order and refuse delivery delivery of the duplicate
>>> order. hell, i would dispute both charges and refuse both shipments
>>> simply because of the bad karma with this order. of course the op can
>>> choose to do it the way dell suggest, but isn't the dell way what he
>>> already experienced; namely rejecting an order and then later
>>> deciding to accept the order once the credit card issue was resolved,
>>> and when the op called to cancel the duplicate dell acting like he is
>>> the first guy this ever happened to (not!) and being unable to cancel
>>> either of the two orders? you know my opinion. good luck.
>>
>> Yes, he contacted Dell (India) and just could not understand the chap.
>> So he asked for someone else and after a wait ended up with a person
>> he could understand even less so had to end the call as he was getting
>> nowhere. He is now waiting for the machines to arrive. His debit card
>> provider basically said tough, you have provided them with your number
>> they can draw any amount they want so you must sort it out with Dell.
>>

> using debit cards, ach checks, or dell credit puts the consumer at a
> real disadvantage. with a credit card you have options that the other
> instruments do not give you; namely you can dispute charges. hate to
> think what has happened to your friends bank account that was attached
> to the debit card if he didn't have enough money in there to cover the
> charge. some banks charge a $35 overdraft for every debit card charge
> made with insufficient funds, regardless if it is a $1,000 computer or a
> $2 starbucks.

True, plus some merchant's sales systems routinely represent bounced
charges multiple times, costing you $35 for every bounce.

Re: the comments from the bank behind the OP's DB card - I'm sure
they're right legally; but I'd probably look for a new bank.

Just my $.02