From: yirg.kenya on
I want to ghost my original 160GB hard drive from my Dimension E510 to
a new 1 TB drive which came with a "free" SATA->USB external adapter,
and to use this as my internal C drive, the old drive becoming a semi-
portable one.

However, after ghosting the C partition to the new drive, and asking
that the MBR also be copied, the new drive won't boot either as a USB
drive or when I open the case and use it (swapping sata and power
supply cables) instead of the old drive. When not trying to boot from
the new drive I can see the entire contents of my old C on it w/o
problem.

Looking some more I see in fact that my original drive had 3
partitions: 1: dell utility, 2: C:, 3: Dell Restore.

I'm wondering if the problem was that I have to ghost at least 1 and 2
or all three, otherwise the MBR will be incorrect on the new drive.

My next thought was that if this were the case then maybe I should
ghost my entire drive 1:1 to the new one and, once I'm able to boot
from it, resize the partitions.

Any help most appreciated!
From: Bob Villa on
On Apr 19, 1:49 am, "yirg.kenya" <yirg.ke...(a)gmail.com> wrote:
> I want to ghost my original 160GB hard drive from my Dimension E510 to
> a new 1 TB drive which came with a "free" SATA->USB external adapter,
> and to use this as my internal C drive, the old drive becoming a semi-
> portable one.
>
> However, after ghosting the C partition  to the new drive, and asking
> that the MBR also be copied, the new drive won't boot either as a USB
> drive or when I open the case and use it (swapping sata and power
> supply cables) instead of the old drive. When not trying to boot from
> the new drive  I can see the entire contents of my old C on it w/o
> problem.
>
> Looking some more I see in fact that my original drive had 3
> partitions: 1: dell utility, 2: C:, 3: Dell Restore.
>
> I'm wondering if the problem was that I have to ghost at least 1 and 2
> or all three, otherwise the MBR will be incorrect on the new drive.
>
> My next thought was that if this were the case then maybe I should
> ghost my entire drive  1:1 to the new one and, once I'm able to boot
> from it, resize the partitions.
>
> Any help most appreciated!

Ghost is usually referred to as an image...I believe you want a
"clone" of your C-drive. A clone is a sector for sector copy.
From: Cmplx80 on
yirg.kenya wrote:
> I want to ghost my original 160GB hard drive from my Dimension E510 to
> a new 1 TB drive which came with a "free" SATA->USB external adapter,
> and to use this as my internal C drive, the old drive becoming a semi-
> portable one.
>
> However, after ghosting the C partition to the new drive, and asking
> that the MBR also be copied, the new drive won't boot either as a USB
> drive or when I open the case and use it (swapping sata and power
> supply cables) instead of the old drive. When not trying to boot from
> the new drive I can see the entire contents of my old C on it w/o
> problem.
>
> Looking some more I see in fact that my original drive had 3
> partitions: 1: dell utility, 2: C:, 3: Dell Restore.
>
> I'm wondering if the problem was that I have to ghost at least 1 and 2
> or all three, otherwise the MBR will be incorrect on the new drive.
>
> My next thought was that if this were the case then maybe I should
> ghost my entire drive 1:1 to the new one and, once I'm able to boot
> from it, resize the partitions.
>
> Any help most appreciated!

Some drive manufacturers provide a free "clone" utility (or limited
version of Acronis) to clone the old drive to the new drive. Check
online at the drive maker's site.

Frank
From: JayB on
sounds like you forgot to set the active partition on the new drive

From: Tom Cole on
On Sun, 18 Apr 2010 23:49:40 -0700 (PDT), "yirg.kenya"
<yirg.kenya(a)gmail.com> wrote:

>I want to ghost my original 160GB hard drive from my Dimension E510 to
>a new 1 TB drive which came with a "free" SATA->USB external adapter,
>and to use this as my internal C drive, the old drive becoming a semi-
>portable one.
>
>However, after ghosting the C partition to the new drive, and asking
>that the MBR also be copied, the new drive won't boot either as a USB
>drive or when I open the case and use it (swapping sata and power
>supply cables) instead of the old drive. When not trying to boot from
>the new drive I can see the entire contents of my old C on it w/o
>problem.
>
>Looking some more I see in fact that my original drive had 3
>partitions: 1: dell utility, 2: C:, 3: Dell Restore.
>
>I'm wondering if the problem was that I have to ghost at least 1 and 2
>or all three, otherwise the MBR will be incorrect on the new drive.
>
>My next thought was that if this were the case then maybe I should
>ghost my entire drive 1:1 to the new one and, once I'm able to boot
>from it, resize the partitions.
>
>Any help most appreciated!

The easiest solution is to copy the entire contents of your old drive
to the new drive, including all partitions. Any drive copying utility
will do, but it must preserve the order of the partitions on the new
drive. A suitable free utility is CopyWipe from Terabyte.
http://www.terabyteunlimited.com/copywipe.php