From: Daddy on
When I start my Studio XPS 8100 (from the Power button), one or both of
the ventilation fans spin at high speed until Windows starts. This is
usually no bother at all. However, if I boot the computer from a CD or
DVD, or if I have entered the BIOS, the fans spin continuously at high
speed until I eventually boot into Windows. Is it normal for the fan(s)
to spin continuously in this manner?

Daddy
From: Ken Tukyfriedturkey on
Most probably the graphics card fan...it is in my case. Its a time when the
card is working hardest getting all that windows stuff running.

From: Brian K on
Daddy,

If you uninstall the graphics card drivers, the fan will run fast all the
time. That's why the fan runs fast when you aren't booted into Windows. The
drivers aren't loaded.

From: Daddy on
Ken Tukyfriedturkey wrote:
> Most probably the graphics card fan...it is in my case. Its a time when the
> card is working hardest getting all that windows stuff running.
>

> "Daddy" <daddy(a)invalid.invalid> wrote in message
>> When I start my Studio XPS 8100 (from the Power button), one or both of
>> the ventilation fans spin at high speed until Windows starts. This is
>> usually no bother at all. However, if I boot the computer from a CD or
>> DVD, or if I have entered the BIOS, the fans spin continuously at high
>> speed until I eventually boot into Windows. Is it normal for the fan(s) to
>> spin continuously in this manner?
>>
>> Daddy

Thanks Ken. I understand what you say, and it makes sense. I just don't
get how it applies while in the BIOS, for example, where the system's
resources are barely being tested.

My (somewhat educated) guess is that the fans run at high speed until
the system knows it's okay to back off...and it waits for some signal
from the operating system.

Daddy
From: Daddy on
Brian K wrote:
> Daddy,
>
> If you uninstall the graphics card drivers, the fan will run fast all the
> time. That's why the fan runs fast when you aren't booted into Windows. The
> drivers aren't loaded.

Hi Brian,

My research eventually pointed to the same conclusion, but I appreciate
having confirmation from you.

This is the first video card I've owned that had a fan.

Daddy

Pages: 1
Prev: for sale
Next: ghosting my original dell drive