From: Chalrie57 on

Let's say I am painting a car in a shop and I have three painters. I
have my cost and my resources all filled out. The Gantt Chart is fine,
then for no reason the hours needed to not match the days it will take
to complete a project. Example: I have 6 hours per day per person, I
have a 24 hour project with three people so the hour shows "8" this
should be done in 1.3 days but the dates show Thursday 6/3 to Tuesday
6/8 four working days. I am guessing I have checked a box I should not
have.
Any ideals?

Thanks,
Charlie

--
Chalrie57
Chalrie57's Profile: http://forums.techarena.in/members/221382.htm

http://forums.techarena.in

From: Rod Gill on
Hi,

Under Tools, Options, View tab, select a date format that includes time. You
may find that the start is late afternoon of one day and early morning of
the last day.

How many hours of work for the resource on this task. You mention 8h, but
can you confirm this please?

--

Rod Gill
Microsoft MVP for Project - http://www.project-systems.co.nz

Author of the only book on Project VBA, see: http://www.projectvbabook.com

__________ Information from ESET Smart Security, version of virus signature database 5122 (20100517) __________

http://www.eset.com

From: Chalrie57 on

Thank You Rod,
I now understand what it is doing, I'm just not sure why. If something
has 24 hours and I give resources 300% it reduces the hours to 8 in the
Duration column, however the start/finish time and the bar graph
represent the full 24 hours based on 8 hours a day

From: Chalrie57 on

I fixed this problem by removing everything in my "Resource Names" and
starting over. This time when I got the option "Change the duration so
resources spend only the specified hours/day working on the task" I took
it. It seems to work fine now.
Thanks everyone of taking time to read my issues, I'll be back!
Charlie

From: Jim Aksel on
Glad you got it figured out. What you have discovered is Project has task
types (Fixed work, fixed duration, fixed units). On top of that, they may
also be "effort driven"

When "Effort Driven" is selected as part of the task type, Project fixes the
Work assigned to the task and divides it among assigned resources. This only
has an effect after you enter the task. So, if you enter Fred as a resource
at 8 hours, your task is one day. If you add Barney (at 100%) project
assumes the 8 hours stays constant and then divides 8 hours among Fred and
Barney according to their availability.... so 4 hours each. If the task type
is Fixed Units, then the duration will also shrink since you will only need 4
clock hours to produce 8 manhours of work divided between Fred and Barney.

After you play with it a bit, you will get the hang of it. Thank God for
those little scheduling notes to help us out.
--
If this post was helpful, please consider rating it.

Jim Aksel, MVP

Check out my blog for more information:
http://www.msprojectblog.com