From: ~BD~ on
Dustin wrote:
> ~BD~<BoaterDave~no.spam~@hotmail.co.uk> wrote in
>
>> Dustin wrote:
>>> ~BD~<BoaterDave~no.spam~@hotmail.co.uk> wrote in

>>> LOL, you would certainly be in the minority if you think I was
>>> wrong in the advice I provided concerning malware.

[....]

What FTR actually said .....

"True, it could be installed and be kept from accessing certain areas by
a rootkit".

Do you *really* disagree with that?

From: Dustin on

> Dustin wrote:
>> ~BD~<BoaterDave~no.spam~@hotmail.co.uk> wrote in

> [....]
>

> What FTR actually said .....
>
> "True, it could be installed and be kept from accessing certain
> areas by a rootkit".

A rootkit still has to play by certain hardrules; nothing can be hidden
completely. Some in house developed tools for prior work with
malwarebytes are likely useful in such a scenario.

I didn't say I couldn't do it without any tools. I just said I wouldn't
provide details. And what would be the point in doing so anyway? You
wouldn't understand what I was writing about... and I'd just be
providing information to anyone interested in circumventing technology
rootkit style. While I don't feel it's information that they couldn't
acquire on their own, I see no real point in.. well, advancing the
technology ahead of schedule.

> Do you *really* disagree with that?

Of course not, a rootkit is nothing more than stealth; BD. However,
it's not foolproof. The old addage is this: "Whatever software can do,
software can undo."; That does *not* include crypto, however. Another
beast entirely.

To further on my post previous to you BD, Technology and the underlying
principles hasn't really changed that much. Computers are faster now,
sure; but they still follow the same laws if you will that the older
ones did. In the DOS days, TSR software could be what you would say is
a rootkit in the windows world; providing it was instructed to hide
folders from dir or windows explorer *g*.

--
"I like your Christ. I don't like your Christians. They are so unlike
your Christ." - author unknown.
From: Dustin on
ASCII <me2(a)privacy.net> wrote in news:4c647925.3763375(a)EDCBIC:

> That's our raidieboi,

Hello ASCII.

I didn't check the headers BD set for the thread he's recently hijacked
to hell. My bad.

From: FromTheRafters on
"Dustin" <bughunter.dustin(a)gmail.com> wrote in message

[...]

> The old addage is this: "Whatever software can do,
> software can undo."; That does *not* include crypto,
> however. Another beast entirely.

It can be sucessfully argued that it still holds even for crypto. The
thing is, the length of time required to do the undoing outlasts the
value of the retrieved information, so it wouldn't be worth it. In fact
the time scales involved in software reversing of long keylength crypto
may be greater than the age of the universe or perhaps even of its
future expected lifespan (whatever that might be) but I don't see how
that could ever be provable.

From: Wolf K on
On 13/08/2010 18:43, FromTheRafters wrote:
> "Dustin"<bughunter.dustin(a)gmail.com> wrote in message
>
> [...]
>
>> The old addage is this: "Whatever software can do,
>> software can undo."; That does *not* include crypto,
>> however. Another beast entirely.
>
> It can be sucessfully argued that it still holds even for crypto. The
> thing is, the length of time required to do the undoing outlasts the
> value of the retrieved information, so it wouldn't be worth it. In fact
> the time scales involved in software reversing of long keylength crypto
> may be greater than the age of the universe or perhaps even of its
> future expected lifespan (whatever that might be) but I don't see how
> that could ever be provable.

Read up on the relevant math. You won't be able to imagine the orders of
magnitude involved, but you will be able to understand the notation. ;-)

cheers,
wolf k.
First  |  Prev  |  Next  |  Last
Pages: 1 2 3 4 5 6
Prev: Anti-virus
Next: Redirection: please explain how it's done.