From: Timo Kunze on
I'd say there's something wrong with your machine (a virus maybe? or a
missing/bad driver?). Windows Update works absolutely fine on my system
and many others.

Timo
--
www.TimoSoft-Software.de - Unicode controls for VB6
"Those who sacrifice freedom for safety deserve neither."
From: Richard Russell on
On Nov 15, 10:21 am, Timo Kunze <TKunze71...(a)gmx.de> wrote:
> Windows Update works absolutely fine on my system
> and many others.

Agreed, I've never experienced the symptoms described by Alf either
(WinXP); Windows Update is permanently enabled here and I'm not really
aware of it. I wonder if his issue is an unfortunate interaction with
a virus scanner, or some memory-hungry process(es) running which are
resulting in a lot of swapping to disk.

The trouble is, Alf is unlikely to solve the problem whilst he blames
Microsoft's 'stupidity' rather than actually investigating the cause.

Richard.
http://www.rtrussell.co.uk/
To reply by email change 'news' to my forename.
From: Alf P. Steinbach on
* Richard Russell:
> On Nov 15, 10:21 am, Timo Kunze <TKunze71...(a)gmx.de> wrote:
>> Windows Update works absolutely fine on my system
>> and many others.
>
> Agreed, I've never experienced the symptoms described by Alf either
> (WinXP); Windows Update is permanently enabled here and I'm not really
> aware of it. I wonder if his issue is an unfortunate interaction with
> a virus scanner, or some memory-hungry process(es) running which are
> resulting in a lot of swapping to disk.
>
> The trouble is, Alf is unlikely to solve the problem whilst he blames
> Microsoft's 'stupidity' rather than actually investigating the cause.
>
> Richard.
> http://www.rtrussell.co.uk/
> To reply by email change 'news' to my forename.

Well, the darned update process, "wuau..." something, started again, machine
slowed to a crawling handicapped snail's pace.

Or actually, I noticed machine almost stopping, checked processes, and there the
ugly monstrosity was, pretending to have just a little working set but huge
allocation of virtual memory: why are you so hairy and have such long teeth,
grandma?

I turned off automatic updates in Security Center, killed the wuau.., and
stopped the update service,

C:\Documents and Settings\Alf> sc stop wuauserv

SERVICE_NAME: wuauserv
TYPE : 20 WIN32_SHARE_PROCESS
STATE : 3 STOP_PENDING
(NOT_STOPPABLE,NOT_PAUSABLE,IGNORES_SHUTDOWN)
WIN32_EXIT_CODE : 0 (0x0)
SERVICE_EXIT_CODE : 0 (0x0)
CHECKPOINT : 0x1
WAIT_HINT : 0x7530

C:\Documents and Settings\Alf> sc GetDisplayName wuauserv
[SC] GetServiceDisplayName SUCCESS Name = Automatic Updates

C:\Documents and Settings\Alf> sc stop wuauserv
[SC] ControlService FAILED 1062:

The service has not been started.

C:\Documents and Settings\Alf> _

and lo and behold! :-), machine again usable. :D :D :D

Problem identified and terminated. Or at least /one/ of them. Now all I have to
do is to remember to do manual updates...

Cheers,

- Alf
From: ScottMcP [MVP] on

Yep Alf, same thing happend to me a couple of days ago. This was on
an old XP machine that had not been turned on for a few months.

The automatic update is rude and inconsiderate.
From: Alf P. Steinbach on
* ScottMcP [MVP]:
> Yep Alf, same thing happend to me a couple of days ago. This was on
> an old XP machine that had not been turned on for a few months.
>
> The automatic update is rude and inconsiderate.

Yeah, I was p**sed. Still am, for that matter. I believe in speaking one's mind. :-)

Cheers,

- Alf
"Think straight, talk straight"