From: jsavard on
Graeme Gill wrote:
> jsavard(a)ecn.ab.ca wrote:

> > lack thereof) it seems to me that the Itanium is the closest thing to a
> > mass-market supercomputer chip there is. Which may not be saying much,

> I thought all the NVidia and ATI GPU cards out there were the closest
> thing to a mass-market supercomputer chip actually :-)

Ever since we lost 3dfx, those things aren't documented...

Also, for some odd reason, GPU processors in video cards tend to do
low-precision arithmetic, and don't include the ability to process
64-bit floating-point numbers.

They may be "like" a supercomputer, but they can't really substitute
for one, although in a few cases it's been tried... maybe we will see
something interesting out of the AMD purchase of ATI.

John Savard

From: Thomas Womack on
In article <1161779395.797274.289050(a)i3g2000cwc.googlegroups.com>,
<jsavard(a)ecn.ab.ca> wrote:
>Graeme Gill wrote:
>> jsavard(a)ecn.ab.ca wrote:
>
>> > lack thereof) it seems to me that the Itanium is the closest thing to a
>> > mass-market supercomputer chip there is. Which may not be saying much,
>
>> I thought all the NVidia and ATI GPU cards out there were the closest
>> thing to a mass-market supercomputer chip actually :-)
>
>Ever since we lost 3dfx, those things aren't documented...
>
>Also, for some odd reason, GPU processors in video cards tend to do
>low-precision arithmetic, and don't include the ability to process
>64-bit floating-point numbers.

They have enough gigaflops, I believe, that they quite often still
have enough gigaflops even once you've used one of the odd kludges
writing numbers as A+B with the exponent of B precisely 23 less than
that of A to get something around 44 bits of mantissa, and 44 bits is
more often enough than 23.

There are vague rumours that DirectX 10 includes 32-bit integer
arithmetic, which again is slightly more often enough than 23.

Tom
From: ranjit_mathews@yahoo.com on

Rick Jones wrote:
> Ketil Malde <ketil+news(a)ii.uib.no> wrote:
> > I can't seem to find any (post-Montecito) numbers on IA64 and
> > performance on 32-bit code. Does anybody know about relevant
> > benchmarks or even approximate performance numbers?
>
> IIRC there are at least three architectures for which there are
> emulators on IA64:
>
> *) "x86" under Linux
> *) PA-RISC under HP-UX
> *) SPARC under something from Fujitsu

I don't know that there is a SPARC emulator, but there's an IBM
mainframe emulator.

From: Robert Klute on

SPARC emulator: http://www.transitive.com/
IBM Z series: http://www.platform-solutions.com/products.php
From: lynn on
ranjit_mathews(a)yahoo.com wrote:
> I don't know that there is a SPARC emulator, but there's an IBM
> mainframe emulator.

there are a number of commercial mainframe emulator products ... there
is also at least hercules open source implementation
http://www.conmicro.cx/hercules/

which is available on a number of platforms. in some sense, there are
some similarities between the current generations of mainframe
emulators and the majority of the ("real") mainframe implementations in
the 60s, 70s, and thru the 80s ... i.e. microcode engines where the
360/370/390/etc. implementation was microcode running on the microcode
engines.

in fact, one of the early targets for 801/risc processors was a project
to try and consolidate the large variety of internal microprocessors.
collected past posts mentioning the large
variety of internal microproprocessors and low-level microcoding
http://www.garlic.com/`lynn/subtopic.html#mcode

misc. past posts mentioning hercules
http://www.garlic.com/~lynn/2001n.html#22 Hercules, OCO, and IBM
missing a great opportunity