From: Howard Brazee on
On Wed, 6 Jan 2010 13:58:47 +1300, "Pete Dashwood"
<dashwood(a)removethis.enternet.co.nz> wrote:

>Personally, I won't hesitate to spend MONEY as long as I know we can afford
>it and as long as there is a fighting chance it will return to us at some
>point.

Too many decision makers are concerned way too strongly with short
term results of their decisions. Some get their promotion or bonus
then find another job. Some "do something" about the current issue
and get reelected.

Way too often this is at the cost of the long term results.

- James Madison
From: Howard Brazee on
On Wed, 6 Jan 2010 06:33:40 -0800 (PST), Alistair
<alistair(a)ld50macca.demon.co.uk> wrote:

>Sometimes managers are too in to their narrow viewpoints to recognise
>the reality of how awful their workplace can be. I remember the quip
>from one manager who said that "it was not true that people were
>leaving in droves" (after half of the IT department had walked in the
>previous 12 months).

I read this shortly after reading how the coach of the Denver Broncos
described his team. People say if you think pro athletes are prima
donnas, it's because we haven't spent time upstairs - the coaches and
owners make them look like regular guys.

- James Madison
From: Anonymous on
In article <7qi5i8F42uU1(a)mid.individual.net>,
Pete Dashwood <dashwood(a)removethis.enternet.co.nz> wrote:
>docdwarf(a)panix.com wrote:
>> In article <7qgmuhFc2vU1(a)mid.individual.net>,
>> Pete Dashwood <dashwood(a)removethis.enternet.co.nz> wrote:
>>> Clark F Morris wrote:
>>
>> [snip]

>>> I hadn't thought about it like that, but I'm sure you are right,
>>> Clark.
>>>
>>> I guess it takes education and persuasion. Pilot projects can be
>>> good.
>>
>> Education costs MONEY, Mr Dashwood, and gives employees that horrible
>> impression that 'I can learn something new so I must be Worth More Pay
>> than someone who can't'... and pilot projects cost MONEY, as well.
>> What Manager worth the next quarter's bottom-line would dare spend
>> MONEY on something that might not work? A few decades ago the
>> buzz-phrase was 'We Get It Right The First Time'; an experiment, by
>> definition, does not have a predictable result.
>
>I think it is the perception of MONEY that matters, Doc.

Some think that everything is a matter of perception, Mr Dashwood, down to
a condition they call 'existence'; I seem to recall something about that
('esse est percipi') from the works of Bishop Berkely I read long ago.

>There's plenty of MONEY for people to fly to conferences and meetings in
>private corporate jets, for example...
>
>Trying to expand a small business as I currently am, I do appreciate that
>MONEY is important.

Trying to expand a small business might, possibly, be quantitatively and
qualitatively differ from existing and thriving in a Fortune 100
corporation.

DD