From: Hans on
Hi,

Sorry about the cross posting.

I used to write utilities with Turbo C and Borland C++ Builder in the
early 1990. I retired at 65 a few month ago and want to rewrite some of
utilities and other items to run on 64bit Linux.

To my surprise, I can not finds a IDE with a context senitive help
system like that with Borland C++ Builder where I can look up C library
functions, macros, required headers, sample code, etc.

I tried ANJUTA. Works Ok, except there is no context sensitive help for
C library functions, etc and I can't find a "doc_book" for the purpose.

Does anyone know a suitable IDE that has the desired help system. (Kylix
is dead)

Hans
From: Jens Marder on
"Hans" <hans(a)nospam.com> schrieb im Newsbeitrag
> Hi,
>
> Sorry about the cross posting.
>
> I used to write utilities with Turbo C and Borland C++ Builder in the
> early 1990. I retired at 65 a few month ago and want to rewrite some of
> utilities and other items to run on 64bit Linux.
>
> To my surprise, I can not finds a IDE with a context senitive help
> system like that with Borland C++ Builder where I can look up C library
> functions, macros, required headers, sample code, etc.
>
> I tried ANJUTA. Works Ok, except there is no context sensitive help for
> C library functions, etc and I can't find a "doc_book" for the purpose.
>
> Does anyone know a suitable IDE that has the desired help system. (Kylix
> is dead)
>
> Hans

Try MS Visual Studio 2010 Express Edition (it's free)

From: Hans on
On 23/05/10 07:30, Jens Marder wrote:
> "Hans" <hans(a)nospam.com> schrieb im Newsbeitrag
>> Hi,
>>
>> Sorry about the cross posting.
>>
>> I used to write utilities with Turbo C and Borland C++ Builder in the
>> early 1990. I retired at 65 a few month ago and want to rewrite some of
>> utilities and other items to run on 64bit Linux.
>>
>> To my surprise, I can not finds a IDE with a context senitive help
>> system like that with Borland C++ Builder where I can look up C library
>> functions, macros, required headers, sample code, etc.
>>
>> I tried ANJUTA. Works Ok, except there is no context sensitive help for
>> C library functions, etc and I can't find a "doc_book" for the purpose.
>>
>> Does anyone know a suitable IDE that has the desired help system. (Kylix
>> is dead)
>>
>> Hans
>
> Try MS Visual Studio 2010 Express Edition (it's free)

I use Borland C++-Builder for Windows but need something similar to run
on Linux and produce executables to run on Linux that incororates a
context sensitive help system to save me wading through tons of
documentation to finds the right ,h include file fore Linux specific
functions and macros, etc.

From: Jongware on
On 25-May-10 15:17 PM, Hans wrote:
> On 23/05/10 07:30, Jens Marder wrote:
>> "Hans"<hans(a)nospam.com> schrieb im Newsbeitrag
>>> Hi,
>>>
>>> Sorry about the cross posting.
>>>
>>> I used to write utilities with Turbo C and Borland C++ Builder in the
>>> early 1990. I retired at 65 a few month ago and want to rewrite some of
>>> utilities and other items to run on 64bit Linux.
>>>
>>> To my surprise, I can not finds a IDE with a context senitive help
>>> system like that with Borland C++ Builder where I can look up C library
>>> functions, macros, required headers, sample code, etc.
>>>
>>> I tried ANJUTA. Works Ok, except there is no context sensitive help for
>>> C library functions, etc and I can't find a "doc_book" for the purpose.
>>>
>>> Does anyone know a suitable IDE that has the desired help system. (Kylix
>>> is dead)
>>>
>>> Hans
>>
>> Try MS Visual Studio 2010 Express Edition (it's free)
>>

> I use Borland C++-Builder for Windows but need something similar to run
> on Linux and produce executables to run on Linux that incororates a
> context sensitive help system to save me wading through tons of
> documentation to finds the right ,h include file fore Linux specific
> functions and macros, etc.

Tried Eclipse? It has so many options I can't even find right away if it
comes with context sensitive help :-)

[Jw]
From: Hans on
On 25/05/10 23:36, Jongware wrote:
> On 25-May-10 15:17 PM, Hans wrote:
>> On 23/05/10 07:30, Jens Marder wrote:
>>> "Hans"<hans(a)nospam.com> schrieb im Newsbeitrag

>>> Try MS Visual Studio 2010 Express Edition (it's free)
>>>

>> I use Borland C++-Builder for Windows but need something similar to run
>> on Linux and produce executables to run on Linux that incororates a
>> context sensitive help system to save me wading through tons of
>> documentation to finds the right ,h include file fore Linux specific
>> functions and macros, etc.
>
> Tried Eclipse? It has so many options I can't even find right away if it
> comes with context sensitive help :-)
>
> [Jw]
Downloaded Eclips for C++ but can't find instructions on how to install
it on Suse 11.2. Tried Anjuta, works fine if you want to write
applications for the Gnome Desktop. It would be nice if I could figure
out how to port the LIBC documentation into a Doc_Book and add tis to
the Anjuta Help System.

Also tried Code:Blocks. Is OK except that it uses XTERM with VGA
resolution. This makes debuging impossible because thext is to small to
be read on modern large 1920x1080 LCD monitor.

That's the fun with Linux!
Hans