From: rn5a on
I am working on Win2K Pro. Due to some reasons, I had to repair the
Win2K installation which completed successfully.

Now when I am trying to install IE6.0 (from a CD), the setup aborts at
the 6% mark & generates the following error:

----------
Setup was unable to install all the components. Please close all
applications and try running Setup again.
----------

I close all applications & run setup again only to encounter the same
error at the 6% mark. I even tried a fresh installation after the setup
failed but it just refuses to install IE6.0.

When I click the 'Help' button on the error dialog, the help file says

----------
It appears you have the correct setup files, but installation failed.
Try closing down all other programs and try running Setup again. If
that still does not work, contact Microsoft Product Support Services
for additional help.
----------

What could be going wrong?

First, Win2K crashed & now IE6.0 is refusing to install! My machine has
become a patience-tester for me.

Please note that this isn't the first time I am trying to install IE6.0
from the CD that I am using currently.....I have used it number of
times to install IE6.0 but this is the first time, I am encountering
such this error.

From: Rob ^_^ on
Hi rn5a,

Obviously your repair of Win2k installation was not completely sucessful. IE
comes with the OS when it is installed. Depending upon exactly what you did
to 'repair' your OS you can try a re-install of IE6 with the following run
command.

%windir%\system32\rundll32.exe setupapi,IndtallHinfSection DefaultInstall
132 %windir%\inf\ie.inf

You will need your Windows CD.

Regards.

From: PA Bear on
Did you format & reinstall Win2K?
--
~Robear Dyer (PA Bear)

From: rn5a on
Rob, IE did get installed when I repaired the OS but it was IE5 & not
IE6. I don't think that the W2K repair was unsuccessful because I have
no problems now in logging in to my machine.

Moreover I also executed the following 2 commands:

SFC /SCANNOW

&

SFC /PURGECACHE

& both of them checked all the Windows system files.

I tried out running

%windir%\system32\rundll32.exe setupapi,IndtallHinfSection
DefaultInstall

but it throws an error saying:

Error in setupapi
Missing entry: IndtallHinfSection

I guess the command you have cited should have been

%windir%\system32\rundll32.exe setupapi,InstallHinfSection
DefaultInstall

i.e. after setapi, it should have been 'InstallHinfSection' & not
'IndtallHinfSection'. I am not very sure about it but when I executed
the command by changing 'IndtallHinfSection' to 'InstallHinfSection',
then also I get an error that says 'Installation failed.'

Could you please give me a concrete solution to install IE6 in my
machine?

Since last 2 days, all my work have come to a standstill just because I
am not able to install IE6. I have gone through many articles & tried
so many things but none of the helped me out.

I beg of you.....PLEASE help me resolve this problem.......PLEASE...

From: rn5a on