From: Alfred Alonzo on
On Windows XP Professional with SP3 and all the updates maintained current
as they have been published and offered by Microsoft Update procedures :

I have these folders in the C:\Windows directory... ie7 ; ie7 updates ;
ie8 ; and ie8 updates. The ie7 folder is kind of small, at about 25 MV,
but
the ie7 updates folder is at about 290 MB. Since I am intending to stay
with IE8, because of security reasons, among other considerations, may I
simply omit the ie7 and ie7 updates folders? I would copy them to another
data medium for storage for a while - but I would appreciate any heads-up
if there may be some caveat.

I also have about a gigabyte of $NtUninstall[XXXXX]$ folders which go way
back in time...

I'm getting quite a bit of conflicting information from search engines, and
the Tom MSMVP tool did NOT work. Since everything is running fine, can I
eliminate those folders, and corresponding folders from within $hf_mig$ ?

These take up significant space, about 2GB which are all compressed to blue
because they are apparently never used and especially if I would never
intend to uninstall any of Microsoft's updates which seen to be working
just fine as they should.

I'm also wondering why Microsoft does not publish either a tool to clean
these old remnants, or some official instruction on how to accomplish this
major maintenance? Also, regarding SFC \scannow : I installed this OS
from the raw release with no service packs. As each of the service packs
came out, I went with the program. Now, when I run the SFC procedure, I
would require an SP3 disc (which I manage to do) or else I get all those
incorrect disc error messages - which accomplishes very little if one
merely clicks-through with the original OS disc. Why doe Microsoft not
publish a downloadable file for verifiable Genuine Microsoft users to
deploy with an appropriate SFC procedure which works? It seems like it
would be so easy to do for them.

OK, so, delete old ie7 remnant folders; old update folders/files; and
access a current and appropriate bundle of system files to run the SFC, or
similar to SFC, procedure???

Thank you.
From: Raoul Watson on
Alfred Alonzo wrote:
> On Windows XP Professional with SP3 and all the updates maintained current
> as they have been published and offered by Microsoft Update procedures :
>
> I have these folders in the C:\Windows directory... ie7 ; ie7 updates ;
> ie8 ; and ie8 updates. The ie7 folder is kind of small, at about 25 MV,
> but
> the ie7 updates folder is at about 290 MB. Since I am intending to stay
> with IE8, because of security reasons, among other considerations, may I
> simply omit the ie7 and ie7 updates folders? I would copy them to another
> data medium for storage for a while - but I would appreciate any heads-up
> if there may be some caveat.
>
> I also have about a gigabyte of $NtUninstall[XXXXX]$ folders which go way
> back in time...
>
> I'm getting quite a bit of conflicting information from search engines, and
> the Tom MSMVP tool did NOT work. Since everything is running fine, can I
> eliminate those folders, and corresponding folders from within $hf_mig$ ?
>
> These take up significant space, about 2GB which are all compressed to blue
> because they are apparently never used and especially if I would never
> intend to uninstall any of Microsoft's updates which seen to be working
> just fine as they should.
>
> I'm also wondering why Microsoft does not publish either a tool to clean
> these old remnants, or some official instruction on how to accomplish this
> major maintenance? Also, regarding SFC \scannow : I installed this OS
> from the raw release with no service packs. As each of the service packs
> came out, I went with the program. Now, when I run the SFC procedure, I
> would require an SP3 disc (which I manage to do) or else I get all those
> incorrect disc error messages - which accomplishes very little if one
> merely clicks-through with the original OS disc. Why doe Microsoft not
> publish a downloadable file for verifiable Genuine Microsoft users to
> deploy with an appropriate SFC procedure which works? It seems like it
> would be so easy to do for them.
>
> OK, so, delete old ie7 remnant folders; old update folders/files; and
> access a current and appropriate bundle of system files to run the SFC, or
> similar to SFC, procedure???
>
> Thank you.
The $NtUninstallxxxxx folders and files Aare generated by Windows update
services (SUS) so that you can roll back a security patch or update. If
you are not planning to uninstall the patches or updates, you can blow
the old ones away and just keep the most recent ones just in case you do
need to roll back. I would leave the $hf_mig$

IE8 does not use anything from the IE7 directories so you can blow those
away.