From: joop g on
Hello, *

We are currently fine-tuning a second network, attached to our main network
via a relatively low-speed line. First thing we are discovering is, that it
is terribly slow. We have roaming profiles, and we certainly need to do
something about them :-)

In the meantime, of course, some users get fed up with the long waiting
times, and they probably just switch off their computer. And we see quite a
few corrupted user profiles. We just can't lay a clear relation.

Anybody here, who can?
From: Jim on
On Sat, 03 Jul 2010 20:12:42 +0200, joop g <jjge(a)xs4all.nl> wrote:

>Hello, *
>
>We are currently fine-tuning a second network, attached to our main network
>via a relatively low-speed line. First thing we are discovering is, that it
>is terribly slow. We have roaming profiles, and we certainly need to do
>something about them :-)
>
>In the meantime, of course, some users get fed up with the long waiting
>times, and they probably just switch off their computer. And we see quite a
>few corrupted user profiles. We just can't lay a clear relation.
>
>Anybody here, who can?

Dial up or broadband ?
From: joop g on
Jim wrote:

> On Sat, 03 Jul 2010 20:12:42 +0200, joop g <jjge(a)xs4all.nl> wrote:
>
>>Hello, *
>>
>>We are currently fine-tuning a second network, attached to our main
>>network via a relatively low-speed line. First thing we are discovering
>>is, that it is terribly slow. We have roaming profiles, and we certainly
>>need to do something about them :-)
>>
>>In the meantime, of course, some users get fed up with the long waiting
>>times, and they probably just switch off their computer. And we see quite
>>a few corrupted user profiles. We just can't lay a clear relation.
>>
>>Anybody here, who can?
>
> Dial up or broadband ?

Well, it is DSL, but the tariff precludes us from choosing higher speeds...
and those profiles tend to become quite big.
From: Raoul Watson on
joop g wrote:
> Hello, *
>
> We are currently fine-tuning a second network, attached to our main network
> via a relatively low-speed line. First thing we are discovering is, that it
> is terribly slow. We have roaming profiles, and we certainly need to do
> something about them :-)
>
> In the meantime, of course, some users get fed up with the long waiting
> times, and they probably just switch off their computer. And we see quite a
> few corrupted user profiles. We just can't lay a clear relation.
>
> Anybody here, who can?

It depends a lot on the environment. I use ZENworks on a Novell
environment (was Netware, now OES 2). ZEN actually creates a dynamic
local user on the Windows client box. Obviously as the profile is being
written, if someone powers down the PC forcefully (like by unplugging
it), that particular user profile will become corrupt.

I have experimented with lots of method. Again I don't know if your
environment support this method. I found out that the best method is to
not remove the user profile at the end of the session. That is, create
user profile if it doesn't exist but do not remove them when the session
end. This will speed up successive logins considerably.

However, one big disadvantage, on a PC which might be used by 15 or 20
users, the user profiles will grow. Regardless, it is still faster than
always creating the user profile.

Beste wensen van New York.
From: joop g on
Raoul Watson wrote:

> joop g wrote:
>> Hello, *
>>
>> We are currently fine-tuning a second network, attached to our main
>> network via a relatively low-speed line. First thing we are discovering
>> is, that it is terribly slow. We have roaming profiles, and we certainly
>> need to do something about them :-)
>>
>> In the meantime, of course, some users get fed up with the long waiting
>> times, and they probably just switch off their computer. And we see quite
>> a few corrupted user profiles. We just can't lay a clear relation.
>>
>> Anybody here, who can?
>
> It depends a lot on the environment. I use ZENworks on a Novell
> environment (was Netware, now OES 2). ZEN actually creates a dynamic
> local user on the Windows client box. Obviously as the profile is being
> written, if someone powers down the PC forcefully (like by unplugging
> it), that particular user profile will become corrupt.

We are using Samba login server on a Linux box. Maybe I should have
mentioned that.

> I have experimented with lots of method. Again I don't know if your
> environment support this method. I found out that the best method is to
> not remove the user profile at the end of the session. That is, create
> user profile if it doesn't exist but do not remove them when the session
> end. This will speed up successive logins considerably.

That might be a good idea, but where do I find these settings?