From: Homer J. Simpson on
All my hard drive partitions have a custom AUTORUN.INF file in their root
folder, containing something similar to this:

[AutoRun]
Icon=downloads.ico

....so each partition shows up in Explorer with a custom icon instead of the
standard drive one.

Installing IE7 RC1 (released yesterday) seems to have broken that
functionality--my custom icons aren't showing and Explorer has reverted back
to the standard icons.

Anyone else seeing this?

FWIW, I also use desktop.ini files to customize the icon for individual
folders such as this:

[.ShellClassInfo]
IconFile=whatever.ico

....this, however, still seems to work as before.

From: Alec S. on
"Homer J. Simpson" <root(a)127.0.0.1> wrote in message news:uDz3IvFyGHA.4372(a)TK2MSFTNGP06.phx.gbl...
> All my hard drive partitions have a custom AUTORUN.INF file in their root
> folder, containing something similar to this:

> Installing IE7 RC1 (released yesterday) seems to have broken that
> functionality--my custom icons aren't showing and Explorer has reverted back
> to the standard icons.

Well I don't have IE7 so I can't test it, but you should try rebuilding the IconCache. You can do this with TweakUI (under Repair),
that's the easiest way, or manually by deleting "%userprofile%\Local Settings\Application Data\IconCache.db" and rebooting (maybe
just log off/on).

--
Alec S.
news/alec->synetech/cjb/net

From: Black Baptist on
Homer J. Simpson rambled on in microsoft.public.windowsxp.customize:

> All my hard drive partitions have a custom AUTORUN.INF file in their
> root folder, containing something similar to this:
>
> [AutoRun]
> Icon=downloads.ico
>
> ...so each partition shows up in Explorer with a custom icon instead of
> the standard drive one.
>
> Installing IE7 RC1 (released yesterday) seems to have broken that
> functionality--my custom icons aren't showing and Explorer has reverted
> back to the standard icons.
>
> Anyone else seeing this?
>

> FWIW, I also use desktop.ini files to customize the icon for individual
> folders such as this:
>
> [.ShellClassInfo]
> IconFile=whatever.ico
>
> ...this, however, still seems to work as before.

copy and save below as drive.reg you can import it to your registry just
change the DefaultIcon part to what you want.

Windows Registry Editor Version 5.00

[HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Explorer
\DriveIcons]

[HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Explorer
\DriveIcons\A]

[HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Explorer
\DriveIcons\A\DefaultIcon]
@="C:\\Windows\\Icons\\Floppy.ico,0"

[HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Explorer
\DriveIcons\A\DefaultLabel]
@="Drive A"

[HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Explorer
\DriveIcons\C]

[HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Explorer
\DriveIcons\C\DefaultIcon]
@="C:\\Windows\\Icons\\Hdd.ico,0"

[HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Explorer
\DriveIcons\C\DefaultLabel]
@="Drive C"

[HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Explorer
\DriveIcons\D]

[HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Explorer
\DriveIcons\D\DefaultIcon]
@="C:\\Windows\\Icons\\Cd.ico,0"

[HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Explorer
\DriveIcons\D\DefaultLabel]
@="Drive D"

[HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Explorer
\DriveIcons\E]

[HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Explorer
\DriveIcons\E\DefaultIcon]
@="C:\\Windows\\Icons\\Cd.ico,0"

[HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Explorer
\DriveIcons\E\DefaultLabel]
@="Drive E"

[HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Explorer
\DriveIcons\F]

[HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Explorer
\DriveIcons\F\DefaultIcon]
@="C:\\Windows\\Icons\\Cd.ico,0"

[HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Explorer
\DriveIcons\F\DefaultLabel]
@="Drive F"