From: Stefan Weiss on
On 16/03/10 02:59, dorayme wrote:
> In article <eqAnn.13233$pv.10252(a)news-server.bigpond.net.au>,
> "rf" <rf(a)z.invalid> wrote:
>
>> And where might this half-transparent overlay be?
>
> I did see something flash by in my street just now. Which, of
> course, now reminds me:
>
> <http://dorayme.netweaver.com.au/jokes/gardenParty.html>

| English garden party...
|
| Lady Rathbone-Jones was holding a garden party. The guests were
| enjoying the mild warmth of the English summer sun, eating scones
| and sipping tea from fine cups. Around the host were some extremely
| high ranking guests. Suddenly, her ladyship involuntarily passed
| wind loudly.
|
| The butler was nearby and she turned to him and with as much poise
| as she could muster in the embarrassing circumstances and ordered
| him to "Stop that, Jeeves!"
|
| The butler replied, "Certainly m'am, which way did it go?"

Ah, that's nothing.

In 1910, the Queen of England held a gala dinner, in honor of the newly
appointed ambassadors of Spain, France, and Prussia. She was suffering
from maldigestion at that time, but that's no reason (for a queen) to
cancel a state dinner. After the entré, she had to fart loudly, stopping
all conversation at the table. The Spanish ambassador, gentleman that he
was, immediately rose and said "My apologies, your majesty". After the
soup, the Queen again made herself heard in an ignoble manner. The
French ambassador, taking his cue from the Spaniard, rose and apologized
for the windy intermission. After the main course, inevitably, the Queen
let another one fly. The Prussian embassador, not to be outdone by his
colleagues, rose and shouted in a booming voice: "Majesty, your current
fart and the next two belong to the great Kingdom of Prussia!"

Hm... that sounded funnier in German, with the accents and all. Anyway.
Fart jokes are always funny (at least that's what my 8 year old nephew
told me).

--
stefan
From: Stefan Weiss on
On 16/03/10 03:03, dorayme wrote:
> In article <q5ydnX24YdxkeQPWnZ2dnUVZ8tqdnZ2d(a)giganews.com>,
> Stefan Weiss <krewecherl(a)gmail.com> wrote:
>
>> On 16/03/10 01:38, rf wrote:
>> > "Stefan Weiss" <krewecherl(a)gmail.com> wrote in message
>> >
>> > And where might this half-transparent overlay be? Hint: URL?
>>
>> In an intranet application, not accessible from the web. I'd love to
>> provide a reduced example,

> How about a clue about the sort of CSS being used, just some
> hints, mind you. Ditto the HTML. We are prepared to pay (like
> newspaper journalists and street detectives).

I did post some of the relevant CSS in my original post [0]. The overlay

html, body {
height: 100%;
overflow: hidden;
}
body {
background-color: #fff;
color: #000;
margin: 0;
font-family: Verdana, Helvetica, sans-serif;
font-size: 11px;
}

The overlay <div> doesn't have any content or attributes. Its style
attributes (quoted from the OP) are:

div.MtRowHover {
position: absolute;
top: 0; /* changes dynamically (JS) */
left: 0; /* changes dynamically (JS) */
height: 17px;
width: 100%; /* see below */
border: 1px solid black;
background-color: #cd892a;
z-index: 1005;
opacity: 0.2; /* for non-IE browsers */
}

[special IE adjustment stylesheet]

div.MtRowHover {
filter: alpha(opacity=20);
}

(The "see below" comment refers to the original post [0].)

I can understand that this is hard (or even impossible) to debug without
an example. I guess I was hoping that somebody had seen that effect
before. If we can't find a solution soon, I'll try to post a reduced
example, if I can get the permission.

Thanks,
stefan

[0]
http://groups.google.com/group/comp.infosystems.www.authoring.stylesheets/tree/browse_frm/thread/b80e62d6a1609c15/a943705861530820

--
stefan
From: Albert Ross on
On Tue, 16 Mar 2010 03:42:39 +0100, Stefan Weiss
<krewecherl(a)gmail.com> wrote:

>Hm... that sounded funnier in German, with the accents and all. Anyway.
>Fart jokes are always funny (at least that's what my 8 year old nephew
>told me).

Trouble is you've always heard them all before

like the gentleman who let forth a stentorian wind after a Victorian
dinner

"Sir! How dare you break wind before my wife" said an indignant diner

"Oh I'm sorry, I didn't know it was her turn"