From: shemya steve shemya on
Tried to install IE8 fro my DELL 9100 xp multimedia.
Installation appeard ok, system rebooted automatically, but left with
error/busy box
"personalized setting being deleted for IE8 installation", or somehting
close to that. Box just sits, CTL ALT DEL shows process has stopped. Del
process and have only screen background, no icons, no mouse or keyboard
activity? Have rebooted many times with wsame result.

Note: Have other user on same box, other user opens ok.

Corrupt profile???, best way to recover without losing all other settings ???

thanks in advnace
steve
From: Shenan Stanley on
shemya steve wrote:
> Tried to install IE8 fro my DELL 9100 xp multimedia.
> Installation appeard ok, system rebooted automatically, but left
> with error/busy box
> "personalized setting being deleted for IE8 installation", or
> somehting close to that. Box just sits, CTL ALT DEL shows process
> has stopped. Del process and have only screen background, no
> icons, no mouse or keyboard activity? Have rebooted many times
> with wsame result.
>
> Note: Have other user on same box, other user opens ok.
>
> Corrupt profile???, best way to recover without losing all other
> settings ???

System restore.
Re-install IE7 to fix any lingering issues.
Stay with IE7 until you have cleaned up your system a little. ;-)

--
Shenan Stanley
MS-MVP