From: Jose on
On Dec 6, 10:55 pm, "Ganz Doof" <g...(a)doof.org> wrote:
> "Shenan Stanley" <newshel...(a)gmail.com> wrote in message news:%>
> > What AntiVirus do you use?
>
> > Last scan with what antimalware/antispyware application(s)?
>
> > How do you connect to the Internet?
>
> > Why SP2 and not SP3?
>
> > Can you give the exact version of your WIndows XP Professional with SP2
> > machine?
> >  (Start --> RUN --> WINVER --> OK --> Version line verbatim.)
>
> > Sure your Outlook 2007 is setup (configured with your email provider)
> > correctly?
>
> > What can you do (specifically) in Internet Explorer 8 you cannot do in
> > Firefox?  (Specific web page addresses, please.)
>
> Norton AV (Corp Ed) is in use
>
> Internet connection through a LAN cable; other computers connected to the
> same router are working just fine.
>
> I do have SP3 installed, it was a typo in my OP when I wrote SP2
>
> OS is Version 5.1 (Build 2600.xpsp_sp3_gdr.090804-1435 : Service Pack 3)
>
> Earlier, I could browse normally with IE8, but Firefox and Chrome just did
> not work, i.e. no pages could be opened. Similarly Outlook did not
> send/receive any messages.
>
> HOWEVER, I just disabled the firewall (Zone Alarm) and now it seems that
> both Firefox and Chrome are working, as is Outlook.
>
> So can this be marked as a Firewall problem or could there be something more
> sinister involved?

Are those the messages you were getting - cannot seem to connect to
the Net, etc.?

If you installed ZA and did not disable the Windows firewall as ZA
recommends, you may/will have difficulty. They even tell you that.

ZA works fine if you configure and look after it properly.

From: Shenan Stanley on
<snipped>

Jose wrote:
> Are those the messages you were getting - cannot seem to connect to
> the Net, etc.?
>
> If you installed ZA and did not disable the Windows firewall as ZA
> recommends, you may/will have difficulty. They even tell you that.
>
> ZA works fine if you configure and look after it properly.

And that last sentence says it all. Most people want something that just
works - not something they have to look after. Unfortunately (or
firtunately depending on your point of view) - not many things like that
exist (I'd dare say none - because everything needs *some* sort of
maintenance at some point.)

--
Shenan Stanley
MS-MVP