From: Ganz Doof on
On a laptop loaded with XP Pro (SP2), IE8 and Outlook Express appears to
work fine. However, other browsers (Firefox & Opera) cannot seem to connect
to the Net and Outlook 2007 cannot send/receive e-mail.

What could be wrong and what could be done to fix this?

Thanks

From: Shenan Stanley on
Ganz Doof wrote:
> On a laptop loaded with XP Pro (SP2), IE8 and Outlook Express
> appears to work fine. However, other browsers (Firefox & Opera)
> cannot seem to connect to the Net and Outlook 2007 cannot
> send/receive e-mail.
> What could be wrong and what could be done to fix this?

What AntiVirus do you use?

Last scan with what antimalware/antispyware application(s)?

How do you connect to the Internet?

Why SP2 and not SP3?

Can you give the exact version of your WIndows XP Professional with SP2
machine?
(Start --> RUN --> WINVER --> OK --> Version line verbatim.)

Sure your Outlook 2007 is setup (configured with your email provider)
correctly?

What can you do (specifically) in Internet Explorer 8 you cannot do in
Firefox? (Specific web page addresses, please.)

--
Shenan Stanley
MS-MVP

From: Jose on
On Dec 5, 11:16 pm, "Ganz Doof" <g...(a)doof.org> wrote:
> On a laptop loaded with XP Pro (SP2), IE8 and Outlook Express appears to
> work fine. However, other browsers (Firefox & Opera) cannot seem to connect
> to the Net and Outlook 2007 cannot send/receive e-mail.
>
> What could be wrong and what could be done to fix this?
>
> Thanks

What are you not yet on SP3? That may not be your problem, but there
are a few good reasons to upgrade to SP3:

http://support.microsoft.com/kb/946480

Is that the message you see from Firefox - "cannot seem to connect to
the Net"?

Outlook 2007 require configuration information specific to your
Internet Service Provider for the POP and SMTP servers. So does OE,
so if OE is working it has been set up somehow.

Is the message from Outlook 2007 - "cannot send/receive e-mail"?

You can setup Outlook 2007 by following this article:

http://support.microsoft.com/kb/287532
From: Ganz Doof on

"Shenan Stanley" <newshelper(a)gmail.com> wrote in message news:%>
> What AntiVirus do you use?
>
> Last scan with what antimalware/antispyware application(s)?
>
> How do you connect to the Internet?
>
> Why SP2 and not SP3?
>
> Can you give the exact version of your WIndows XP Professional with SP2
> machine?
> (Start --> RUN --> WINVER --> OK --> Version line verbatim.)
>
> Sure your Outlook 2007 is setup (configured with your email provider)
> correctly?
>
> What can you do (specifically) in Internet Explorer 8 you cannot do in
> Firefox? (Specific web page addresses, please.)

Norton AV (Corp Ed) is in use

Internet connection through a LAN cable; other computers connected to the
same router are working just fine.

I do have SP3 installed, it was a typo in my OP when I wrote SP2

OS is Version 5.1 (Build 2600.xpsp_sp3_gdr.090804-1435 : Service Pack 3)

Earlier, I could browse normally with IE8, but Firefox and Chrome just did
not work, i.e. no pages could be opened. Similarly Outlook did not
send/receive any messages.

HOWEVER, I just disabled the firewall (Zone Alarm) and now it seems that
both Firefox and Chrome are working, as is Outlook.

So can this be marked as a Firewall problem or could there be something more
sinister involved?

From: Shenan Stanley on
Ganz Doof wrote:
> Norton AV (Corp Ed) is in use
>
> Internet connection through a LAN cable; other computers connected
> to the same router are working just fine.
>
> I do have SP3 installed, it was a typo in my OP when I wrote SP2
>
> OS is Version 5.1 (Build 2600.xpsp_sp3_gdr.090804-1435 : Service
> Pack 3)
> Earlier, I could browse normally with IE8, but Firefox and Chrome
> just did not work, i.e. no pages could be opened. Similarly Outlook
> did not send/receive any messages.
>
> HOWEVER, I just disabled the firewall (Zone Alarm) and now it seems
> that both Firefox and Chrome are working, as is Outlook.
>
> So can this be marked as a Firewall problem or could there be
> something more sinister involved?

Uninstall ZoneAlarm Firewall. It is more trouble than it is worth for 90%
of users - especially if it is not kept up to date.

--
Shenan Stanley
MS-MVP