From: RM-admin on
I have a single Windows 2000 Server in a small domain. The local Intranet
site is hosted off of this

Server with IIS 5.0. The server is updated to SP4 with all security
patches. The IIS service

sometimes starts after reboot but the admin page is inaccessible as is the
IIS Admin mmc. I am not

sure but it seems to be an issue with the registry or metabase. I have
resinstalled IIS 5.0 several

times to resolve and looked at several KB articles. Where should I begin?
I have a MPS report if needed.
---------------------
Event Type: Error
Event Source: LicenseService
Event Category: None
Event ID: 202
Date: 11/27/2007
Time: 11:39:37 AM
User: N/A
Computer: VADER
The product IIS 5.0 is out of licenses. Use License Manager from the
Administrative Tools folder

No reason why we should be receiving this message. should have 10 CALS and
only 1-4 simulataneous

connections
-----------------------------
cannot start www service or iis services.
Event Type: Error
Event Source: W3SVC
Event Category: None
Event ID: 116
Date: 11/27/2007
Time: 2:39:31 PM
User: N/A
Computer: VADER
The service metabase path '/LM/W3SVC/' could not be opened. The data is the
error code.
Data:
0000: 03 00 00 00 ....

Event Type: Error
Event Source: Service Control Manager
Event Category: None
Event ID: 7023
Date: 11/27/2007
Time: 2:39:31 PM
User: N/A
Computer: VADER
The World Wide Web Publishing Service service terminated with the following
error:

I verified the path, ok. C:\WINNT\system32\inetsrv\inetinfo.exe
reinstalled iis no nntp or ftp
uninstalled the web based ManagEngine OpMananager 6.0 console app
Can use XP Pro Workstation to logon to iis admin mmc but nothing shows up.
Sometimes allows me to

restart iis services but gives error service has not been started.
Sometimes I cannot connect to the

server remotely via mmc only RDP

Error:
IIS Setup encountered an error. Please check the C:\WINNT\iis5.log file for
further information.
***
log looks good for last install today, no fails on reinstall. Can send log

Date: 11/27/2007
Time: 4:18:42 PM
User: N/A
Computer: VADER
The service metabase path '/LM/W3SVC/' could not be opened. The data is the
error code.
Data:
0000: 03 00 00 00 ....

http://support.microsoft.com/kb/327649
HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\Software\Microsoft\Rpc\Internet does not exist. not the
issue
http://support.microsoft.com/kb/295162
gave administrators full control, still same issue starting w3svc
C:\>net start w3svc
The World Wide Web Publishing Service service is starting.
The World Wide Web Publishing Service service could not be started.
A system error has occurred.
System error 3 has occurred.
C:\>net start iisadmin
The requested service has already been started.
More help is available by typing NET HELPMSG 2182

Rebuilding the server and domain is not an option at present.
--
RM Administrator
Austin Texas ---- Yee-Haw!!

"The are no stupid questions, only stupid people"

"Only robots reboot"
From: Ken Schaefer on
Hi,

The licensing stuff might have nothing to do with concurrent connections,
especially if you are licensing per device, or per user. You need to check
what licensing method you are using. But it shouldn't stop IIS from
starting.

Given that it seems that you don't ened to have this server up and running
all the time:
I would:
- uninstall IIS.
- Delete the metabase.bin file
- Delete the c:\winnt\system32\inetsrv folder
- Reinstall IIS

Cheers
Ken

From: RM-admin on
Thanks Ken,

I did try the steps above, however inetpub folder locked due to Windows File
Protection
- uninstalled IIS.
- Deleted the metabase.bin file
- could not Delete the c:\winnt\system32\inetsrv folder
- rebooted
- Reinstalled IIS

CiCL001 error file locked in catalog.wci folder
cannot remove/rename inetpub or c:\winnt\system32\inetsrv due to a sharing
violation
stopped all IIS/www services
stopped+disabled all backup exec services
stopped sharepiont timer service

tried following instructions to add/remove IIS from:

windows file protection, need to restart and check to make sure that both
folders are gone. metabase is not there
C:\WINNT\system32\inetsrv
C:\Inetpub
Looked at http://support.microsoft.com/kb/302573/

restarted server and both folders are still there, cannot remove. metabase
is not there C:\WINNT\system32\inetsrv C:\Inetpub

sometimes services start sometimes they don't. sometimes I can load IIS
Admin but I can't see the tree. sometimes the default.htm page loads, mostly
it does not. do I need to yank the registry keys and reinstall again (about
10 times now)

Thanks