From: Chris on
I created a folder test under c:\inetpub\wwwroot and created a virual
directory in IIS to use this folder. Under properties I expected to see
Directory tab and it set to "the designated directory. But instead it shows
Virtual Directory tab. And set to "a directory located on this computer".
The local path is c:\inetpub\wwwroot\test.

I thought if a folder is under the default web direcotry it will be
automatically set to the designated directory. How the virtual directory can
be created with "the designated directory" setting?

Thanks.
From: .._.. on
Wait, you made a Virtual Directory, and are now surprised that you created a
Virtual Directory?

IIS doesn't automatically revert a virtual directory to a regular directory
just because it's somewhere in the root of the folders on disk. That would
remove about 80% of the usability of that feature if it did that.

From: Chris on
I think I didn't make my question clear. Under the Default Web Site I have
two virtual diretories. Under properies, one shows "A directory located on
this computer" and the other shows "The designated directory". Both folders
are under c:\inetpub\wwwroot.

My questions:
1. why they are different?
2. I can't manully re-create a virtual directory with the property showing
"The designated directory".

I believe the Virtual directory showing "the designated directory" was
created by a script or software. Not manully. Is that the reason?

Thanks.

From: David Wang on
1. They are different because one is a IIsWebDirectory and the other
is a IIsWebVirtualDir.
2. Anyone can create either type of metadata in IIS configuration
store.

You can search for "IIsWebFile", "IIsWebDirectory", and
"IIsWebVirtualDir" on my blog http://blogs.msdn.com/David.Wang to
learn about what they are and what one can do with them.

//David
http://blogs.msdn.com/David.Wang
//