From: BF on
problem with IIS/sharepoint I thought I'd best pass onto the wider world.

Scenario:

Windows 2003 SP1
Sharepoint on non-default port (other than 80)
IP Listen Only list is not in registry (so default values)
"The process cannot access the file because it is being used by another
process" when you try to run sharepoint.
event log shows something like the following:

Event Source: W3SVC
Event ID: 1004
site has been deactivated. The data field contains the error number.

Event Source: HTTP
Event ID: 15005
The IP Listen-Only list may contain a reference to an interface which may
not exist on this machine. The data field contains the error number.

"netstat -ano" indicates the port chosen for sharepoint is in use by another
process.

solution:
in my case I'd tried ms kb 890015 (link later) to no use, found "Unable to
start websites on W2K3 with IIS" (link below) which put me on the right
track - many thanks to Wei-Dong Xu from MS.

checking the meta base confirmed that the configuration was correct, the
netstat indicated another process was using the port - in my case it was
ntfrs!! why would NTFRS be using the port I dunno (ms article 319553 looks
at this - didn't help but linked below anyway).

stopping the file replication service, starting the web site and then
restarting the file rep seems to have done the trick. guessing that NTFRS
had dynamically grabbed a port that happened to be the one I'd assigned to
sharepoint.

-Ben Fountain
gan314159nospamplease(a)hotmail.com
should be obvious what to change if not then go watch bladerunner

"Unable to start websites on W2K3 with IIS"
http://www.highdots.com/forums/iis/unable-start-websites-w2k3-iis-677356.html

"You receive a "The process cannot access the file because it is being used
by another process" error message when you try to start a Web site in the
Internet Information Services 6.0 MMC snap-in"
http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?scid=kb;en-us;890015

"How to restrict FRS replication traffic to a specific static port"
http://support.microsoft.com/?id=319553