From: Ted on
hi,

that's basically the long and short of my question right there.

i know about clicking the windows components button and i've restarted my
desktop since then but i still can't view http://www.localhost and
http://www.localhostnorthwind

anyone care to opine?

thanks,

-ted

From: "Tom Kaminski [MVP]" <tomk mvps on
"Ted" <Ted(a)discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
> hi,
>
> that's basically the long and short of my question right there.
>
> i know about clicking the windows components button and i've restarted my
> desktop since then but i still can't view http://www.localhost and
> http://www.localhostnorthwind
>
> anyone care to opine?

Look in the Services control panel applet and either manually start the
World Wide Web Publishing service or set it to automatic. Alternatively, at
a command prompt type "net start w3svc".

Are you sure that's the problem?

--
Tom Kaminski IIS MVP
http://mvp.support.microsoft.com/

From: Ted on
no, tom, i'm not sure that's the problem; i'm getting this suggestion from a
tech'n at a software vendor. i used your command prompt idea and those two
addresses still fail to respond to the helm. perhaps i need to reboot the
desktop?

-ted

From: Ken Schaefer on
Hi,

http://localhost (not http://www.localhost) is predefined in Windows. That
points to the local machine.

Neither http://localhostnorthwind nor http://www.localhost are defined "out
of the box" in Windows. So unless you manually add these entries to your
HOSTS file, or add entries for these names to your DNS servers, they will
not resolve.

I would try http://localhost and see if that works.

Cheers
Ken

: no, tom, i'm not sure that's the problem; i'm getting this suggestion from
: tech'n at a software vendor. i used your command prompt idea and those two
: addresses still fail to respond to the helm. perhaps i need to reboot the
: desktop?
:
: -ted
:
: "Tom Kaminski [MVP]" wrote:
:
: > "Ted" <Ted(a)discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
: > news:6F013B59-C862-45CF-868B-3C89B0D2AD7F(a)microsoft.com...
: > > hi,
: > >
: > > that's basically the long and short of my question right there.
: > >
: > > i know about clicking the windows components button and i've restarted
my
: > > desktop since then but i still can't view http://www.localhost and
: > > http://www.localhostnorthwind
: > >
: > > anyone care to opine?
: >
: > Look in the Services control panel applet and either manually start the
: > World Wide Web Publishing service or set it to automatic.
Alternatively, at
: > a command prompt type "net start w3svc".
: >
: > Are you sure that's the problem?
: >
: > --

From: "Tom Kaminski [MVP]" <tomk mvps on
"Ken Schaefer" <kenREMOVE(a)THISadOpenStatic.com> wrote in message
> Neither http://localhostnorthwind nor http://www.localhost are defined
> "out
> of the box" in Windows. So unless you manually add these entries to your
> HOSTS file, or add entries for these names to your DNS servers, they will
> not resolve.

Good catch Ken!