From: Ted on
tom,

i found or think i found the file you mean and i clipped a few lines from it
that i'am pasting below:

# This MVPS HOSTS file is a free download from: #
# http://www.mvps.org/winhelp2002/ #
# #
# Notes: the browser does not read this "#" symbol #
# You can create your own notes, after the # symbol #
# This *must* be the first line: 127.0.0.1 localhost #
# ********************************************************#
# ------------------Updated: 05-17-05---------------------#
# ********************************************************#
# Entries marked with Parasite or Trojan comments should #
# be placed in the Internet Explorer Restricted Zone. #
# http://mvps.org/winhelp2002/restricted.htm #
# #
# Entries with other comments are searchable via Google. #
# #
# Disclaimer: this file is free to use, however it is NOT #
# permitted to post on any other site without permission. #
# #
# This work is licensed under the Creative Commons #
# Attribution-NonCommercial-ShareAlike License. #
# http://creativecommons.org/licenses/by-nc-sa/2.0/ #
127.0.0.1 localhost
#start of lines added by WinHelp2002
# [Misc Add-ons][A - Z]
127.0.0.1 acestats.com
127.0.0.1 www.acestats.com
127.0.0.1 www.activesearch.com #[Adware.ActiveSearch]
127.0.0.1 actualnames.com #[Parasite.ActualNames][Spyware.ActualNames]
127.0.0.1 www.actualnames.com
127.0.0.1 ad-up.com
127.0.0.1 www.ad-up.com

as you can see, the line you suggested be added to it is/was already in it.

so why am i not getting things to work as intended. what am i needing to do?

-ted

From: "Tom Kaminski [MVP]" <tomk mvps on
> tom,
>
> i found or think i found the file you mean and i clipped a few lines from
> it
> that i'am pasting below:
>

> # This MVPS HOSTS file is a free download from: #
> # http://www.mvps.org/winhelp2002/ #
> # #
> # Notes: the browser does not read this "#" symbol #
> # You can create your own notes, after the # symbol #
> # This *must* be the first line: 127.0.0.1 localhost #
> # ********************************************************#
> # ------------------Updated: 05-17-05---------------------#
> # ********************************************************#
> # Entries marked with Parasite or Trojan comments should #
> # be placed in the Internet Explorer Restricted Zone. #
> # http://mvps.org/winhelp2002/restricted.htm #
> # #
> # Entries with other comments are searchable via Google. #
> # #
> # Disclaimer: this file is free to use, however it is NOT #
> # permitted to post on any other site without permission. #
> # #
> # This work is licensed under the Creative Commons #
> # Attribution-NonCommercial-ShareAlike License. #
> # http://creativecommons.org/licenses/by-nc-sa/2.0/ #
> 127.0.0.1 localhost
> #start of lines added by WinHelp2002
> # [Misc Add-ons][A - Z]
> 127.0.0.1 acestats.com
> 127.0.0.1 www.acestats.com
> 127.0.0.1 www.activesearch.com #[Adware.ActiveSearch]
> 127.0.0.1 actualnames.com #[Parasite.ActualNames][Spyware.ActualNames]
> 127.0.0.1 www.actualnames.com
> 127.0.0.1 ad-up.com
> 127.0.0.1 www.ad-up.com
>

> as you can see, the line you suggested be added to it is/was already in
> it.
>
> so why am i not getting things to work as intended. what am i needing to
> do?

It is? Show me where ... neither localhostnorthwind or www.localhost are
listed here ...

Why do you have to use those anyway? http://localhost should be just fine.

--
Tom Kaminski IIS MVP
http://mvp.support.microsoft.com/

From: Ted on
tom, do you see where it says 127.0.0.1 localhost ? if i typed in
http://localhost then that should work? is that what you're telling me? i'm
not at my home desktop until tonight, however, i think i already used it and
it didn't. what would that seem to imply?

on another, albeit, related topic.....if i want to type in
http://localhost/northwind and have it work, what needs doing to the hosts
file, if anything?

thanks for all the good advice.

-ted

From: "Tom Kaminski [MVP]" <tomk mvps on
> tom, do you see where it says 127.0.0.1 localhost ? if i typed in
> http://localhost then that should work? is that what you're telling me?
> i'm
> not at my home desktop until tonight, however, i think i already used it
> and
> it didn't. what would that seem to imply?

Yes, that should work. If it does not, make sure friendly error msaages are
disbaled in IE and post back the exact error message you get. You could
also try connecting to http://127.0.0.1 ...

> on another, albeit, related topic.....if i want to type in
> http://localhost/northwind and have it work, what needs doing to the hosts
> file, if anything?

Nothing - the host is still just "localhost". "/northwind" is a folder on
that host.

--
Tom Kaminski IIS MVP
http://mvp.support.microsoft.com/

From: Ted on
i disabled the friendly error messages button. at the bottom of "The Page
Cannot Be Displayed" screen which resulted when i type in "http://127.0.0.1"
is the pair of sentences:

Cannot find server or DNS Error
Internet Explorer

appearing just as they do above.

i hope this is helpful. i just want to add the fact that i have a "broadband
firewall router" attached to my desktop and cablemodem. is this a factor?

with best regards,

-ted