From: Ted on
i'd love to hit that 'Did this post answer the question' button gents (Ken
and Tom in alphabetic order) but i'm not sitting at that machine just now.
it'll have to wait 'til tonight. i'm keepin' my fingers X-ed.

with much thanks whatever happens,

-ted

From: Ted on
ken or tom:

how'd i add this to my "HOSTS" file (i've seen it somewhere on this XP PRO
equipped pc of mine, but where is it hiding and how'd i go about implementing
this). OR for that matter, how'd i "add entries for these names to your DNS
servers" which i confess is a term i'm unacquainted with.

-ted

From: "Tom Kaminski [MVP]" <tomk mvps on
"Ted" <Ted(a)discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
> ken or tom:
>
> how'd i add this to my "HOSTS" file (i've seen it somewhere on this XP PRO
> equipped pc of mine, but where is it hiding and how'd i go about
> implementing
> this). OR for that matter, how'd i "add entries for these names to your
> DNS
> servers" which i confess is a term i'm unacquainted with.

See the section "Adding Static Clients to the Hosts File":
http://support.microsoft.com/?kbid=309642

--
Tom Kaminski IIS MVP
http://mvp.support.microsoft.com/

From: Ted on
i wish i were famiillar with what it's talking about.

From: "Tom Kaminski [MVP]" <tomk mvps on
>i wish i were famiillar with what it's talking about.

That section is very straight-forward and steps you through what you have to
do. See the section "Adding Static Clients to the Hosts File":
http://support.microsoft.com/?kbid=309642

Just add a line for 127.0.0.1 and the name you want to use.

--
Tom Kaminski IIS MVP
http://mvp.support.microsoft.com/