From: Jonathon on
Hello,

Can anyone tell me how to set IIS up as a backup mx server, I want it to
capture all emails for my domains if my primary mail server is unavailable
and then forward them on once it comes back online.

I'm fine setting up the DNS I'm just not sure about how I could set up IIS
to do this.

Many thanks,
Jonathon
From: John Elliot on
Jonathon,

You cannot use IIS to accept emails. It is a web server. If you are
looking for a free web based SMTP server, check SMTP Gateway at
http://xeams.com

Regards,
JE.

From: Chris M on
On 11/03/2010 17:57, John Elliot wrote:
> Jonathon,
>
> You cannot use IIS to accept emails. It is a web server. If you are
> looking for a free web based SMTP server, check SMTP Gateway at
> http://xeams.com

Er, yes you can John, and it has been possible since at least Windows
2000 up to XP and Server 2008

IIS5 (Windows 2000), 5.1 (XP), 6.0 (Server 2003) and 7 (Server 2008
only) include an SMTP service as part of IIS. Vista and Windows 7
include IIS7 but don't have the SMTP service. In this case you will need
to use a 3rd party solution.

Jonathon, very simply, configure the backup MX address in your public
DNS namespace to point at the public IP that your SMTP server will
listen on. Set up a new SMTP virtual server, configure the address that
it will listen on, the domain name that it will handle and that's
basically it. Incoming email for your domain(s) will land in the drop
folders. If you want the same server to handle multiple domains you can
specify this too, and also have separate drop folders for each domain.

Don't forget to secure the service against anonymous relaying. Getting
the email from the drop folder into your email client is left as an
excercise for the reader :-)

--
Chris.