From: TCurtin on
I have Server 2003 IIS 6.0

I am using windows authentication for a web site hosted in IIS.
Anonymous Access is off

In the IIS audit logs the 'cs-username' shows up fine on a successful login.

the 'cs-username' is blank when the user enters a bad password. is there a
way to change this?

The information I need is the number of failed attempts for a user. or is
there another way to ger this info?

From: Ken Schaefer on
Unless a user authenticates (i.e. the Windows security subsystem says "yes,
this is a valid user") then IIS has no user context to impersonate, and the
request is considered "anonymous" (and then is appropriately denied with a
401.

Your Windows security event logs will track failed login attempts (including
a reason for the failure: e.g. unknown username or bad password, account
disabled etc). You may need to allow failed logon auditing in the local
security policy (or set it via Group Policy).

Cheers
Ken

From: "Mr. Arnold" MR. on

"TCurtin" <TCurtin(a)discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
>I have Server 2003 IIS 6.0
>
> I am using windows authentication for a web site hosted in IIS.
> Anonymous Access is off
>
> In the IIS audit logs the 'cs-username' shows up fine on a successful
> login.
>
> the 'cs-username' is blank when the user enters a bad password. is there a
> way to change this?
>
> The information I need is the number of failed attempts for a user. or is
> there another way to ger this info?

You can go to the Win 2k3 Audit services and enable the logging of the
successful and failed attempts by a user to login to the server through IIS,
which is kept in the System's Security Event Logs and can be viewed using
the Event Viewer on the O/S.

From: TCurtin on
I tried this using the event logs and it works most of the time. the only
weirdness is that if i use the machineName.xxxxxx.com/user and an invalid
password the event gets logged as a failure [great]. but if I use the
domainName/user as a login only successes get logged [When a valid password
is used] If I use an invalid password in this case nothing gets logged, any
ideas?

From: Ken Schaefer on
Check the Event Logs on your domain controllers.